4885 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

tempreture problem for alpha server 4100

MahdiRa
Frequent Advisor

tempreture problem for alpha server 4100

Hi all
i have an alpha server 4100 installed in room with very good cooling system the new problem that appears since 5 days if i just opend the door for a while the system is crashed and the tempreture reached 51degreeC which the maximum that the system crash after. i do clean all the fans of the CPU and power supply but the system retun to the same problem i used the show power command from the console and the result is good. plz advise
20 REPLIES 20
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re: tempreture problem for alpha server 4100

Mahdi,
My opinion is that there is not much you can do other than make sure that you have the right fan.

I would like you to explore the idea of adding an additional fan and may be at the same time position this fan in such a way that the the air is sucked out instead of blowing.

Try this, all the very best :)

regards
Mobeen
MahdiRa
Frequent Advisor

i agree with you that this is good but what i need is how to trubleshoot and to solve the problem. i thinking to change all the fans inside the server but i couldnot fined any thing in the loge files that said the problem in cooling or any thing else
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

about which door are you talking, the front door?

greetings,

Michael

MahdiRa
Frequent Advisor

am not talking about the door but any change in the room condition has the same effect in crashing the system
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Can you run up the SDA (stack dump analyzer) and issue some commands, the details of which are as follows

See one of the things is, when your system is already down to the console and ready to boot up, the power should be good, else it would never have booted if the temp was high. I thought there was a way to look at the history of temp while at console. Never the less, you should be able to see all that you need using the SDA.

$:/>ANALYSE/SYSTEM
SDA:/>SHOW CRASH
SDA:/>SHOW SUMMARY
SDA:/>SHOW CPU

These typically give you the values at the time of crash.

Let me know how it goes

regards
Mobeen
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Mahdi,
I am sorry i thought you were running OpenVMS, hence suggested to run ANALYSE/SYSTEM. Do you know how you invoke SDA (dump analyser) in Tru64. If you know do that and look at the following

SDA:/>SHOW CRASH
SDA:/>SHOW SUMMARY
SDA:/>SHOW CPU

regards
Mobeen
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Remove the fron door of the 4100.
It will get better air.

greetings,

Michael
MahdiRa
Frequent Advisor

no i dont know how to do it so if you can help me or any one else to do it
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Michael,
Do you know what you need to run on Tru64 to run the equivalent of Analyse/system (for SDA) in OpenVMS

regards
Mobeen