Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

terminal setings on window resize

Aldis Black
Advisor

terminal setings on window resize

Hi All,

I am trying to set the environment so when the user logs on with reflection x and resizes the terminal window with the mouse pointer, the number of terminal rows and columns changes automaticaly and the output from: top etc. occupies the entire window. Any ideas on how to set this?

Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: terminal setings on window resize

Putty does it automatically when changing the windows size, but this is done by the client itself.
Of course you can run "resize" manually after changing the size ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Aldis Black
Advisor

Yes, but the point is to set this up so the user does not need to run resize. I saw this working on the other system but I am unable to check what settings were applied there.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Looks like this is an option, from help file:

Dynamic terminal size (Option 31)

This option lets you specify whether Reflection supports dynamic update of the number of rows and columns in the display when the user resizes the terminal window. Your Telnet server and application must also support NAWS (Negotiate About Window Size) otherwise display problems can occur.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Aldis Black
Advisor

So there is no option that could be set in .profile, .Xdefaults or any other file?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>So there is no option that could be set in .profile, .Xdefaults or any other file?

If the X windowing software will send a SIGWINCH, then the shells will reset LINES & COLUMNS.
Aldis Black
Advisor

OK, when i log on to root account directly using reflection i am able to resize the terminal window dynamicaly (for example I expand the window to full screen and the 'top' output covers the whole window. When I do the same, but log on to root using rootsh (via not-FID account) this is not working. So it seems to me there must be something in the non-FID's .profile which prevents the dynamical window resize from working but I just cannot find it. Please advise as the users keep complaining that after the rootsh implementation they are unable to work comfortably.