New Discussion юеВ

Re: timezone configuration change

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

timezone configuration change

Hi,

In turkey timezone changes will be done with one day latency. ( in spite of March 27, it will be on March 28.

changing tztab will be ok. but if you look at the output of fuser /usr/lib/tztab, a lot of processes like oracle,cimserver and other system processes opened it.

will it be ok, if i change inode number of tztab after editing ? or should i have to reboot ?

Computers have lots of memory but no imagination
16 REPLIES 16
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

You will need to restart any processes that was already running at the time of the alteration. This would include the 'cron' daemon, oracle processes, etc. A shutdown and reboot might be the quickest, most sweeping way.

That said, you have another issue to consider. If you leave the modified 'tztab' in place, the next time you attempt to apply a standard patch for ' tztab' that updates timezone information, regardless of whether or not it impacts the stanza you modified, the update will _not_ fully complete. That is, 'swinstall' will detect that you modified 'tztab' and leave the new, standard version in 'the /usr/new' directory. Caveat emptor.

Regards!

...JRF...
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

it's interesting that tztab is a text file, you can edit and after changing values system time shows the correct value corresponding to the changes. but i tested cron, it failed. job run in the wrong time.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Apart from your exact request I want to add, another way to do it, to use an automated ntp server in Turkiye if you can afford it, so no need to do any other thing, system will be updated by ntp server.
This is what I did in every year. just check the ntp server is up and running ..
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

Hi,

ntp server just gives you utp time. if you change timezone in ntp server, clients do not change time. if you change time manually in ntp server, in the next check in clients, they will see 1 hour difference, so they aborts them without updating.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>but i tested cron, it failed. job run in the wrong time.

Stop and restart cron, and then try rerunning your job.

# /sbin/init.d/cron stop
# /sbin/init.d/cron start

Then try scheduling a job to run.
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

i'll possible to run in the correct time. but how about the other system processes ? which one of them will i restart ?
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

and there are thousands of server..
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

That is why it can be easier to just reboot if there is a tztab change (see James' response above).

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

What HP-UX version are you using?

There is code is libc to detect that the mmapped file has changed but I'm not sure how robust the detection is.

>In turkey timezone changes will be done with one day latency.

How long has this change been proposed, years? Have you asked HP to provide a patch for this?

>and there are thousands of server.

Right and syslog runs on local time.