7640 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

to disable hw scan during bootup

whiz_kid911
Frequent Advisor

to disable hw scan during bootup

hello
i hv an hpux server with 4 io-cages and almost 24 iocards in them and it takes about 30-45 mins to get this npar booted up. is there a way i can speed up this boot up process by disabling the hw scan ?
4 REPLIES 4
Sunny123_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re: to disable hw scan during bootup

Hi

Why you want to do it??? its a basic and its good to have the h/w scan during bootup.

Regards
Sunny
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

What's your HP-UX version?

For HP-UX 11.11, there is an optional enhancement that makes the boot-up hardware scan multi-threaded, which should speed it up a lot, especially in complex configurations like yours.

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=MtIOscan11i

I assume the newer HP-UX versions have this available as a standard feature.

Disabling the hardware scan would most likely make the kernel think that the non-scanned devices simply don't exist. I think that would be sort of counter-productive.

MK
MK
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This high configuration , and why do you want to reboot the system frequently??

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
whiz_kid911
Frequent Advisor

am talking abt the hw scanning before reaching EFI Boot Manager which is really time consuming and I understand that hw scanning helps at times, but am in the process of configuring this server with vpars and apps, and thats requiring me to reboot the box quite frequently now and was thinking if something like this is possible.

OS is hpux 11.31.

thanks