New Discussion юеВ

tool to read tcpdump.out

SOLVED
Go to solution
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

tool to read tcpdump.out

2.6.9-67.0.1.ELsmp
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)

# file tcpdump.out
tcpdump.out: tcpdump capture file (little-endian) - version 2.4 (Linux "cooked", capture length 96)

i want to know of the best tool which can be used to analyse the dump either from the host itself? Or any tool which can be insatalled on windows(XP) and read the linux dump.

7 REPLIES 7
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: tool to read tcpdump.out

ethereal
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

I usually use wireshark to read tcpdump/pcap files.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

before you get confused wireshark is ethereal. I just still call it ethereal.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

i ahve the ethreal NPA on pc. Any one know of any better one
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Sorry, just curios. What is NPA? I am not familair with that acronym in relation to ethereal. I am sure I will feel stupid after you tell me.
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

really??

Network protocol analyzer
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Yep. I thought is was Network Professional Association. There are too many acronyms in our line of work. Plus the fact that the same acronym can have quite a few meanings.