New Discussion юеВ

top, ll commands hang

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ionut Grigorescu_2
Super Advisor

top, ll commands hang

Hi,

on a HP-UX 11.11 Server top and ll commands hang - no output, no prompt return. ls is working, I'm trying that from console, I've tried to restart sshd , stopping was OK but it didn't start anymore.
If it weren't for STRESS I'd have no energy at all
6 REPLIES 6
Raj D.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: top, ll commands hang

Ionut,

Check /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log and dmesg for any errors, Also if you have nfs mounts check that nfs mounts are working properly.

Cheers,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
Ionut Grigorescu_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

there is no error indication neither in syslog nor in dmesg. On the box is running nfs server monitored by a MC/SG package, which is exporting some local directories. One of them is /d/home, re-imported as /m/home. The other or also /d/something re-imported as /m/something. I can cd to these as root and write, read files, I cannot su - user (it hangs also), /m/home is no available. In the log of the MC/SG package which is monitoring the nfs there is no error indication.
Chan 007
Honored Contributor

HI,

did you do exportfs -u a by any chance.

Check disksapce.

Check bdf

Any big or large file is being copied? if so kill it now and started out of office hours..

Chan
Jonathan Fife
Honored Contributor

Does bdf work? Are any filesystems full that you can tell (/var or /tmp in particular)?
Decay is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Ionut ,

If any changes done since it was working fine.
Check system filetable usage and top sar glance output, hope you will find something.

# sar -v 5 5
# glance -t
# top

Also check how many users are connected and if every one is facing the same problem.
Check with # bdf and # bdf -l,

hth,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
Ionut Grigorescu_2
Super Advisor

the system is a cluster with two nodes: SS(system server) and DS (database server. On both is installed ldap (Netscape Directory Service ), SS being master and DS replica server. The problem was that somehow the ldap was corrupt on SS, that was the cause of malfunction of ll (but not ls or bdf!), top, tar ...etc. We have restored ldap from Ignite tape and now it's working again.