108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tru 64 backup and revcovery

SOLVED
Go to solution
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

That's why I asked you to describe your question a bit better. There are too many options.

Looks like you're looking for the Ron Urban system / cluster cloning scripts. They copy the system disk(s) to another LUN(s). After that all you need to do to active the clone is to change the boot path.

Look here: http://www.unix-wissen.de/Tru64/clone-cluster.html
victory_1
Advisor

Han

Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate if you

can go through this doc and let me know if this

enough for a client who wants to use system

cloning capabilities in 5.1B of TRU64.

I also would like to know how you can restore

back after cloning.

Thanks
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Vijay,

I'm afraid we will continue to run around in circles until you clearly explain what the problem is that you are trying to solve.

The document you attached describes two completely different things. Both could apply to what you're trying to accomplish. I can think of several other things that could be just as applicable. On the other hand, non of this may apply to the situation. We just can't tell until we know what the problem really is.
victory_1
Advisor

Hi Han

Thanks for the reply. The requiremnet is

about system cloning capabilities in 5.1B of

TRU64.

The client would basically like to go for a

cloning solution as they do not want to go

for a tape restore solution.

They want to keep a cloned image of all the

root filesystems and recover the same when a

system crash happens.

The doc which i sent expalins cloning process

in tru 64 but I am still wondering as to what

is the solution if we want to recover using

these clone filesets.

I am sorry if this is going in circles but

this is my exact requirement.

I would appreciate if you can give me some

feedback on this .

Thanks

VIJAY RAGHAVAN
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Cloned file sets won't help you in that case, They reside within the same domain as the original. Therefor if anything happens to the domain, you will lose both.

The cloning you mentioned in the document could help you, but is probably even more cumbersome than doing a tape restore. The purpose of this cloning is to install multiple (new) systems that are almost identical. Unless you script every change that you make on the system disks and then re-apply those after you install the system again (using the cloned installation process), you will lose those customizations.

Depending on the storage that you use, you may be able to use hardware clones (business copies) of your system disks. However these have different WWID's and since Tru64 UNIX identifies disks by their WWID, you will have to come up with a process to account for that (which is very difficult in clusters).

The cloning scripts from Rob Urban that I pointed you to earlier, might do exactly what you want. Each time you run those scripts they create a copy of the system disk on another set of disks. The script allow you to make some simple changes to the system disk (such as partition sizes, quorum and votes in a cluster, etc.). Typically people run those scripts before they do major work on the system disks (such as installing a patch kit) or they run them nightly from crontab. When you need to recover, all you have to do is to boot from the cloned system disks. It does require that you have a spare set of system disks, which on modern storage arrays is usually not a big deal.

It's also a good idea to run sys_check after every significant change on the system disk as sys_check saves all important configuration information (including LSM meta data). You should then keep the sys_check output on another system, so that you can access it when you need to do a recovery.
victory_1
Advisor

I have got all the info required.

Thanks to all