1753730 Members
4613 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: umask set to 077 but Autosys files written at 666

nancy rippey
Trusted Contributor

umask set to 077 but Autosys files written at 666

I have the umask set to 077 on my HPUX 11i servers yet Autosys files are being written as 666. The autosys files are not coming in with any predefined permissions (they should be set but they are not, and setting them within Autosys is not under my control). Since they are not being set in the Autosys jobs the files are being written as 666. Any ideas as to why.
nrip
2 REPLIES 2
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Nancy:

One way would be if the creating process does an explicit 'chmod' following file open. Another possibility is that the parent process of the one that creates the Autosys files has a 'umask' of 000.

Regards!

...JRF...
Tor-Arne Nostdal
Trusted Contributor

So the Autosys application have the right to set the rights, and you might contact the application administrator (since it's not under your control), to have the files created with appropriate umask.

However, as pinpointed by JRF - you might have a look at the startup of the application (Autosys). If the parent process (the process starting up autosys) does submit Autosys with 000 - you will get a default of 666.

You might have a look in your /sbin/init.d directory and perhaps edit your startup file to include umask setting.

/Tor-Arne
I'm trying to become President of the state I'm in...