Regular Advisor

umount home

dears,

I would like to perform the simple action of making

umount -v /home

It tells me 'device busy'

fuser -uc home gives home/:
without any entries.

What can I do? I rebootet the maschine directly before, no user is onside, there seems to be no reason that home is busy...

However; I would like to extend the home FS becasue it is full. Maybe this is the reason?

Any help is appreciated very much.

BR,
Oliver
Oliver Schmitz
11 REPLIES 11
Piergiacomo Perini
Trusted Contributor

Re: umount home

Hi Oliver,

try to perform using lvol of FS /home :

fuser -uc /dev/vg00/lvlxx.

But, in order to extend FS /home, i think you have to boot in single user mode.

hth
regards
pg
freddy_21
Respected Contributor

why you not try:

fuser -ku /dev/vg00/lvol
umount /home

is your application using /home? maybe stop your application first.

do you have online jfs for extend lvol with online?

thanks
freddy
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Oliver,

The easiest way is to reboot into single user mode.

# shutdown -h -y now
start the server, hit "any key" to interrupt the boot sequence
boot pri #at the ISL prompt
interact with ISL? Y
hpux -is #to boot to single user mode
# mount /usr
# lvextend ....
# extendsfs ....
# mount /home
# bdf # to check your work
# shutdown -r -y now

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

There is one possibility due to which you are not seeing any process in fuser -uc /home but still getting device busy error.
This most often happens if there is any filesystem mounted on a directory under /home.
Try
mount | grep '/home'
and see if there are any other filesystems mounted inside home.

Regards,
Ninad
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, fuser misses at least half of the reasons that a filesystem is busy. There is no solution except to install lsof. It will identify all the processes that are holding the filesystem open. Get a copy from:

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/cgi-bin/search?package=on&description=on&term=lsof&Search=Search

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor

Hi,

check if /home is NFS-exported. I noticed it often, that fuser does not detect this fact.
If that is the case, you have to NFS-umount it from all remote hosts (showmount will help you) and unexport it then (exportfs -u /home).

mfG Peter
The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

Dear Oliver,

Any use of the above suggestions ?
Were you able to resolve the problem ?

Regards,
Ninad
nibble
Super Advisor

if you want it extended, better be safe and reboot first to single user mode. that way, you will be sure that no application or user is using /home
Oliver Schmitz
Regular Advisor

Dear all,

thanks a lot for the usefull answers. Right, there were some other FS mounted into /home. As soon as I unmounted them umount /home runs fine.

However, I tried to enlarge the FS. First I run SAM and choose the option to increase the discspace of the lvol /lvol_vgraid_home which is the raid hosted lvol for the home FS. This works perfectly but the FS itself could not be increased after increasing the available diskspace (and there is sufficiently enough on a 1 TB RAID system).

The message i get if I call

$ extendfs -F hfs /dev_special_file_for_/home is: 'error hfs extend: Character special file required'

Has anybody an idea what might be wrong. I did it more than 100 times this way, so I don't see a reason. The correct special file is there. Might it be that the special file is corrupt?

Thanks for further help.
Oliver
'
Oliver Schmitz