1752679 Members
5651 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: unable to set uid/gid after NIS Master server change

TTr
Honored Contributor

Back to the password encryption method. HP-UX uses DES. To find out what AIX is using, take a look at the password file that has the encrypted passwords in it. I have never used AIX so I don't know if it is one of /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow. If the encrypted password field starts with the characters $1$ then the AIX master is using MD5 and it needs to be changed to DES.
JP_ Lynch
Advisor

Here's the results of:

ypcat passwd | grep swadmin yields

swadmin:m2AgackmvvXGI:17:1::/export/home/swadmin:/usr/bin/ksh

Where swadmin is an NIS user. This password does not seem to be MD5 based on the descriptions I've read about.
TTr
Honored Contributor

It is a DES password.
Are you absolutely certain that you did not make any changes to the NIS clients? If so then the problem is on the master server. Can you su or login to a regular user on the NIS master? Can you type the ypcommands from a regular user shell?

On the other hand do the yp* commands work on the NIS client? As root and as a regular user. You may want to create a local regular user on the NIS client and su to it and try some things out.
JP_ Lynch
Advisor

Q: /* Are you absolutely certain that you did not make any changes to the NIS clients? If so then the problem is on the master server. */
A: No change to the NIS clients. All other UNIX clients Sun Solaris 9, 10: RHeL 4,5: and Fedora 8 all working fine! HP/UX the only one not working.

Q:/* Can you su or login to a regular user on the NIS master? Can you type the ypcommands from a regular user shell? */
A: yes. Can login, can "su " can issue yp - commands on NIS master.

Q:/* On the other hand do the yp* commands work on the NIS client? As root and as a regular user. */

A: No. Here's the result of "yppasswd swadmin" command:

[160]hefty:/>yppasswd swadmin
Changing password for swadmin on NIS server
Old NIS password:*******
New password: *******
Re-enter new password: *******
Couldn't create client to YP master: RPC: Program not registered.

You may want to create a local regular user on the NIS client and su to it and try some things out.

// --> OK, I'll try this next.
JP_ Lynch
Advisor

I'm going to research the nsswitch.conf
TTr
Honored Contributor

Ensure that nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf are set accordingly. The RPC error is an indication that either the HP server does not know where to connect or the NIS master does not know the whereabouts of the HP server. Also ensure the permissions of /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf are readable by everybody.
JP_ Lynch
Advisor

Solved, but not by any of the means on this thread (and I really an't explain why it now works).

I stopped and started the yppasswdd daemon on the NIS Master. Then went and issued yppasswd for an NIS user ID. The NIS pw change was successful.

Logged out and then back in. With the new NIS passwd and was successful. Something with restarting yppasswd on the AIX NIS master kicked all of this in. Strange.