108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: uname

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Purdy
Advisor

uname

We are upgrading 2 RP5400 servers to RP 5470. Does the uname change when this upgrade is done? The application that runs on these servers is licensed to the uname and I will need new licenses if the uname does change.
9 REPLIES 9
Doug Burton
Respected Contributor
Solution

If they look at the machine ID (uname -i) then maybe. Perhaps you can tell us what software your talking about.
Bob Purdy
Advisor

The application is indeed looking at the uname -i. It is a custom application written by another company that uses the uname -i output for its licensing.
Phillip Thayer
Esteemed Contributor

You probably need to contact the company that wrote the software and tell them you need to transfer the licenses to the new system. They may provide a patch for their software to do that at no charge.

Phil
Once it's in production it's all bugs after that.
Bob Purdy
Advisor

I can get a replacement license, but I need to provide them with the uname which I won't have until after the upgrade if it changes with the upgrade. That would mean that I can only upgrade one system so teh app can run on the other until I get a new license and then after I get a new license on that system I can upgrade the second system and wait for a new license for it so I can put both servers back on line. That could take a week. I was hoping there was a chip that contained the uname that could be transferred to the new hardware to avoid all of this.
Reshma Malusare
Trusted Contributor

Hi Bob,

Of course if you will upgrade the server then uname -i output will change.so you will need new lincence...
as -i -- > Display the machine identification number (or the node name, if the machine identification number
cannot be determined)

It is better to have talk with end customer as suggested by Philip.

Thanks & Regards
Reshma
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] and wait for a new license [...]

That's some awful service. When last I
worked for a company whose products used
FLEXlm licensing, if we took a whole hour to
turn around a license request, we felt bad
about it. We'd've lost customers if we'd
taken days to do it. We'd also grind out a
short-term run-anywhere license to cover the
case where the hostid would not be known
ahead of time. None of that stuff was hard
to do, it just required a vendor who had some
interest in customer satisfaction. If I were
in your situation, I'd at least ask and see
what your vendor can/will do.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I was hoping there was a chip that contained the uname that could be transferred to the new hardware

I thought there may have been something like that in the past? A HP CE would have to do this. You could talk to your HP salesman?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The software ID is based on the product number and serial number and the "chip" where this is stored is the system board.

You cannot transfer these values ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Marcel Burggraeve
Trusted Contributor

Like others states already, the output from uname will indeed change.
There's no changing of a chip or something like that involved.
Upgrading from a RP5400 to a RP5470 is almost like building a complete new box.
The systemboard on the bottom will be replaced and you will get memory carriers instead of memory direct on the system board.
The IO board in which interfaces will be plugged in will be replaced as well.
The upgrade will take about 1 to 2 hours and there's alot of loosening and tigthening screws involved ;-)

You started your posting with we, does this mean you're going to do the upgrade yourself ?
If so, keep in mind that after the upgrade you have a RP5430 and need a HP engineer to enter a license which will turn it into a RP5470.