108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: understanding /etc/passwd - PART 2

SOLVED
Go to solution
john guardian
Super Advisor

understanding /etc/passwd - PART 2

I was reading thru the thread "understanding /etc/passwd". One response from JR Ferguson references Chapter 8 of a document. I haven't "played" with this feature of 11.31 yet, though I am aware that Trusted Systems has been deprecated. The question is: from what I've read, it ALMOST looks like the new passwd file (with shadow) requires the use of NIS? Is this true? Or can you use the "new-and-improved" password security method without involving NIS?
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Use of NIS should not be required. Using NIS would undo what you gain by using shadowed passwords.

NIS is an inherently **unsecure** protocol.

Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I believe you have misunderstood what you read about shadow password file and NIS relationship. NIS is being kept for not much more than legacy purposes on UNIX platform as far as I know. It is alarmingly insecure way of user authentication. If you are not using it as a requirement from an old application, do not touch it with a 10 foot pole.

If you go back and reread the first page of Chapter 8 it says:

HP-UX Shadow Passwords are not supported by:

*Network Information Service (NIS).
*Network information Server Plus (NIS+).

Can you point to what you read that **ALMOST** led you to believe NIS was required?
john guardian
Super Advisor

Thanks guys.

Couldn't find where I read about the NIS ref, but if I do I will update. I thought it was a dumb approach to do so... that's why I inquired.