New Discussion юеВ

Re: understanding /etc/passwd.

SOLVED
Go to solution
OldSchool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ashish assumes that this system has been converted to trusted mode...I don't believe it has. Its simply a standard password system that has some accounts locked.

in a normal untrusted system, a password of "*" indicates the account was locked.
In your example, lines 1-4 the accounts are locked, while in 5-7 the user has a valid passwd assigned (which is encrypted). you won't see "plaintext" in the password field.

1)cmurphy:*:200:21:C.C.Murphy,US HQ,6588,:/home/murphy:/bin/ksh
2)klabunde:*:252:28:M.C.Klabunde,,,:/home/klabunde:/bin/ksh
3)pwrchute:zf67.sLB9vFPE:257:10:PowerChutePlus,,,:/home/pwrchute:/bin/ksh
4)weber:*:277:32:D.M.Weber,eds,,:/home/weber:/bin/ksh
5)mckeen:xQUDOfLwcnNB6:338:36:C.A.McKeen,EMD LMC,,:/home/ccm/home/mckeen:/bin/ksh
6)ktieman:4Py4ttQiGGxo.:365:36:Ken Tieman,EMD LMC,,:/home/ktieman:/bin/ksh
7)dandawat:xVUyMpkuSeWUY:399:21:Y Dandawate,,,:/home/pz2tl1:/bin

as for "2)How to create encrypted password.?"

Huh? As root, "password " will create a password for . Passwords are always encrypted, no matter standard, trusted or shadow.

senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

can you tell me that history of normal system , trusted system and shadowed system?

such as upto which version trusted system available? and in which version shadowed introduced.? and what is the file names such as "/tcb/files/autt" and "/etc/shadow"
Andrew C Fieldsend
Respected Contributor

When UNIX was first created, passwords were stored in the second field of /etc/passwd as a one-way hash of the real password. Since the * character isn't included in the output character set of the hash function, a * in the password field can't match any entered password, thus locking the account.

Later, because /etc/passwd had to be world readable to allow various library routines to access the other user details stored there, it was thought that this was insecure, and the /etc/shadow file was added to hold the password hash (still computed in the same way). This file could be readable only by root, as the only routines which needed to access it (login, su, and the like) would have to be effectively running as root.

The implementations of the original passwd and shadow files are fairly consistent across manufacturers, but the various manufacturers implementations of the "trusted systems" concepts are less so. (Possibly this is why trusted systems are now deprecated at 11.31?)
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

I think the /etc/password history may be

before HP-UX - 9 ---> /etc/passwd

HP-UX 9 ---> /secure/etc/passwd

HP-UX 10+ ---> /tcb/files/auth

HP-UX 11.23+ --> /etc/shadow.

Is this information correct?

which is more secure "/etc/shadow" or "/tcb/file/auth"?
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

in the std installation, only /etc/passwd is used.

the 'tbc' related stuff indicates that the system in question has been converted to "trusted". Which as JRF noted above, is deprecated at 11.31 (may not be supported int the future)

"shadow" password package is available for 11.11 and up.

as to which is "more secure", I can't address that, but the current direction is moving away from trusted system to shadow password.

of course there are other authentication methods available (LDAP, NIS+ and so forth).

I'm not sure I understand the facination w/ the "history" and which OS versions used what files / methods...especially versions older than 11.xxx.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Senthilkumar,

Both shadow and trusted system has it's own features.

shadow password is mainly for shadowing the passwords. It encrypts and storing some place other than /etc/password which others cannot even see it.

Whereas trusted system has features like password policy, account restrictions, auditing and so many.

Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

/etc/passwd is always an option. Not a good option for security, but an option. This has been available since the beginnings of HP-UX.

Trusted systems were available with HP-UX 10.20 and continue to be available even with 11.31.

Shadow passwords became available with HP-UX 11.11 with an additional software package that you had to install separately. Starting with 11.23, that option came standard with the OS.

I don't know about /secure/etc/passwd. I'm not familiar with that option.

From my recollections:

/etc/passwd -- ALL HP-UX versions

Trusted systems -- /tcb/ structure -- HP-UX 10.20 and later (though this will be desupported in future releases)

Shadow Passwords -- HP-UX 11.11 (with additional software instaleld) -- HP-UX 11.23 and later as standard functionality
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

Not only shadow and trusted config. There are lot of security products available for HP
If you want to know more about which product support on which version refer this table. 11iV3 not included.

HP-UX 11.00 11i v1 (11.11) 11i v2 (11.23)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard System Security x x x
/etc/default/security x x x
Trusted Systems x x x
Shadow Passwords x x

HP-UX Security Containment x
SMSE x
RBAC x

Boot Authenticator x x
Bastille x x x
HIDS x x
Random Number Generator x x