6027 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: userdb database inconsistency

Trng
Super Advisor

userdb database inconsistency

Dear All,

in one of my HPUX11.31 ,very frequently ia m getting error message "unable to read from /var/adm/userdb/C4 .run userdbck

What is root cause of this .how to solve it permanently ,because C4 user getting affted due to this .

rgds
trng

administrator
5 REPLIES 5
SUDHAKAR_18
Trusted Contributor

Have you enabled "Auditing" for users in the system?

I hope these messages are due to auditing.

can you give more information about the error?

also go through this link http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60130/userdb.4.html
Trng
Super Advisor

Auditing is not enabled on my machine ...very frequntly i am getting the error (one in every week/twice)..what is the root cause.
administrator
SUDHAKAR_18
Trusted Contributor

userdbck verifies the information in the user database (/var/adm/userdb), reports inconsistencies, and fixes problems.

If no options and no arguments are specified, userdbck reports all data corruption problems in all files in /var/adm/userdb.

If the -r option is also specified, each reported problem is repaired.

for more information see man page of userdbck
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Trng,

Man page says, this database is used for storing per-user information. It is not a text file and the database contains checksums and other binary data. So we cannot view or edit.

And in the man page, it is clearly mentioned that use userdbck command to verify or fix information in the user database, /var/adm/userdb.

Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Trng
Super Advisor

my question why userdatabase getting corrupted ? ..is there any bug? what may be the root cause?
administrator