Dear all.
I have this error on HPUX 11.23
i cannot run any executable.
please help..
17 REPLIES 17
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: /usr/lib/hpux32/uld.so: Mmap failed due to errno: 13

According to /usr/include/sys/errno.h, the errno value 13 means EACCESS, or "Permission denied".

Apparently your system is an Itanium: that file does not exist on a PA-RISC 11.23.

The permissions of /usr/lib/hpux32/uld.so should be -r-xr-xr-x, owner bin, group bin.

If you cannot run *any* executable, how are you logging in? When did the problem start, and what was done just before that?

This sounds like a possible accident with "chown -R" or "chmod -R". If that's what happened, use "swverify -F \*" as first aid. That should make the basic commands work again, so that the system can survive a reboot and people can log in. Any applications that are not installed using swinstall will not be fixed by this.

The next step would be to compare the permissions of all files in the system to your latest good backup and fix as necessary. Yes, it may be a lot of work.

See this thread for more information about "swverify -F \*":
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1189274

MK
MK
Mohamed AbdelMoneim
Honored Contributor

Matti Kurkela
Thank you for youe support.
I was working to fix some issues in OMU and NNM databases, then this error starts to pop up in the prompet..
after while the x-windows session i am using hanged and i cannot login to the server any more.

so what i have to do to solve this issue?
i need to login to the server again.
it is a production server.
please adivse
Mohamed AbdelMoneim
Honored Contributor

Hi.
I also ran this command from the System Management Home but i still get the same error
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>/usr/lib/hpux32/uld.so

What are the permissions of this file and dld.so?
Also each of the paths:
ll -d / /usr /usr/lib /usr/lib/hpux32

They all should be RX for all.

>MK: Apparently your system is an Integrity

Yes, uld.so is the micro loader that loads dld.so.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If possible, try to find out exactly what has happened. What were the exact commands you entered just before the error appeared for the first time? Were there other people with root access working on the system at that time? What were they doing? What exact commands were they using?

If there is a permission problem affecting the critical libraries and loader files, any non-root logins may fail. Don't log out of any shell sessions with root privileges, if you still have any sessions active. Until the problem is fixed, it may be impossible to log in normally.

If there are no working sessions left, try to login as root on the system console: this might work while other login methods fail.

If you can log in but have difficulties running the commands, try entering this command first:

export PATH=/sbin:$PATH

This makes the system use statically linked versions of basic commands, reducing the dependence on various libraries. These commands may lack some functionality of the full versions, but they have a better chance of working while this problem remains unfixed.

If you can access the system in any way, find the answers to Dennis's questions. They will give us more clues about the extent of the damage.

MK
MK
Mohamed AbdelMoneim
Honored Contributor

can thsi issue occured because of several power failure ???
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>can this issue occur because of several power failures?

Not likely. The most likely is MK's runaway chmod suggestion.
Mohamed AbdelMoneim
Honored Contributor

Hi..
let me know, how to solve this issue and restore the system cause i cannot run the command swverify -F /*
also, i cannot get the shell or telnet the server
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I cannot run the command swverify -F \*

Do you still have a root shell on the system?

>I cannot get the shell or telnet the server

If you don't have a root shell, you'll need to boot in single user mode and mount /usr and then use /sbin/chmod to fix those files/directories.