Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

utilization (kernel/cpu/etc.) for troubleshooting

Billa-User
Regular Advisor

utilization (kernel/cpu/etc.) for troubleshooting

hello,
i have following problem. every day at a fix time a server (fortunately it is a test server/HPUX 11.31) have the same problems (100% CPU and it isn't possible to connect to ORACLE database(s) ). the ORACLE database parameter "process" is monitored and it is ok.

so we think about "kernel utilization". how can i detect the kernel utilization at a fix time ? i want to start "kcusage" in a loop at this time (in attachment) ?
also maybe "tusc" is a good tool to monitor ? but it has a lot of parameters ...
what other tools can i use ?
4 REPLIES
Kenan Erdey
Honored Contributor

Re: utilization (kernel/cpu/etc.) for troubleshooting

Hi,

first check if there is a cron job or oracle job in that time, and you can also monitor which process is consuming cpu resources with top or glance. ps also gives processes with max cpu usage and sort it.

UNIX95= ps -e -o "pcpu vsz args" |sort -r | head -200
Computers have lots of memory but no imagination
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>how can I detect the kernel utilization at a fixed time?

Do you have glance or caliper (Integrity)?
How long does it last?

>I want to start kcusage in a loop at this time?

You may want to add a sleep in your script.

>also maybe "tusc" is a good tool to monitor?

Unless you know what you are looking for, tusc wouldn't be a good perf monitoring tool.
Billa-User
Regular Advisor

>Do you have glance or caliper (Integrity)?
>How long does it last?

i have glance and heard a little bit about caliper , is it useful to learn more about caliper for monitoring?

>I want to start kcusage in a loop at this time?
> You may want to add a sleep in your script.

thx, i will do this.

we have now more informations, at the fix time many ORACLE jobs are triggered and we think it is no a kernel problem , it is a cpu problem ?
only we saw with "top" cpu(s) are 0% idle but we need more informations ...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>at the fixed time many ORACLE jobs are triggered and we think it is not a kernel problem, it is a CPU problem?

You can use glance to look at the busy processes. You can also look to see what system calls they are making and what files are open.