1753854 Members
7517 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

uucp, sendmail and rpcd failure after ignite-ux recovery

simon_108
Advisor

uucp, sendmail and rpcd failure after ignite-ux recovery

I've try to test on the B180L HPUX (v11.00)server using DAT72 tape device. According to the command as follow:

#/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -v inc_entire=vg00 -i /dev/rmt/0mn

** I can't use -x and -a in this command.

When the backup was completed. I destroy the /etc and /usr and halt the system. Then I boot up the tape and restore the system. It was not error occur but when the system reboot 2 times, the UUCP and Mail are failed and the login screen cannot go to CDE login.

** Error was found and see the /etc/rc.log

I've checked /etc/rc.log file, but I don't know what is the problem.

/var/spool/uucp directory unreadable
ERROR CODE 1
"/sbin/rc2.d/S202clean_uucp start" FAILED

ERROR CODE 1
"/sbin/rc2.d/S540sendmail start" FAILED

ERROR CODE 1
"/sbin/rc2.d/S590Rpcd start" FAILED

In addition, I feel when recovery the system that may have chnage most of files or directories permission. Normally the ownership of directories is 7xx, but 6xx has been shown after recovery.

What is the problem about it??

2 REPLIES 2
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

Re: uucp, sendmail and rpcd failure after ignite-ux recovery

I'm not sure what happened...
1) defining the tapedrive the way you did is not how the manual page suggests: /dev/rmt/0mn is the default and can only be overridden on the commandline by using the -a option
2) What did you recover? Only /usr and /etc, or the entire system?

The change in rights on the directories is alarming. Something I've never seen before, while we use ignite a lot! But with other commandline options.

Perhaps someone on this forum can be of more help if you try to give the ignite version (from swlist) and more info on what you restored.
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
simon_108
Advisor

Re: uucp, sendmail and rpcd failure after ignite-ux recovery

I restore the entire system not only /usr or /etc. Would you help check the following steps that I've something wrong or not?

1. swinstall Ignite depot
2. make_tape_recovery -v inc_entire=vg00 -i /dev/rmt/0mn
3. remove /etc and /usr
4. power down server
5. boot tape to recover entire system

I've tried 2 times and still same problem.

I've seem the doc of Ignite and it has many functions. For my situation, I should not need to configure Ignite Server because I would like to backup entire system to tape and recover by tape as well.