Operating System - HP-UX
1753928 Members
8751 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vPars in nPar, partition configuration lost concerning.

SOLVED
Go to solution
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

vPars in nPar, partition configuration lost concerning.

guys,
I never deal with vPars, and I am concerning partition configuration lost at hardware maintenence, my questions are:
1, can I boot the nPar where those vPars within? then if I lost the nPar configuration, I could boot the nPar then add those resource belong to it back to it.
2, are all vPars' configuration store in their own boot disk, so missing vPars's configuration is nearly impossible?
if there is any other thing I should take care, please let me know.

regards
Stephen
18 REPLIES 18
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor

Hi Stephen,

What kind of Hardware maintenance will be carried out on npars?

The OS as well have major role in handling and keeping partition information and I didn't find any chance of loss. Hope your OS disks are intact.

You can mention what actually worries you about hardware maintenance.

Thanks & Regards
Jayakrishnan G Naik
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

J.G.N,
I need to replace a superdome's HUCB, and I've never deal with vPars, so I am worrying about vPars or nPars configuration lost. by the way, ctl+A be used to control vPars' console?

regards
Stephen
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

firstly, the HUCB may be one of the boards that can be replaced on-line, so it wouldn't matter.
Secondly, each boot disk in an nPar has a copy of the vpdb file (vpars database) which holds the configuration, so there is no need to worry here.
If you DID want to bot into nPar mode, it will depend on whether you have a PA-RISC or an Integrity Superdome.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

There is nothing stored on the HUCB.

The nPar configuration in the first generation Superdome (not Superdome 2) is stored in each cell and the MP. For Superdome 2 the configuration is stored on other places, but also redundant (both nPar and vPar).

The vPar configuration is stored on each boot disk, synchronized every couple of minutes.

So you usually cannot loose anything, don't worry.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The HUCB is the board where many cables are plugged in (clocks, USB from second cabinet, SMS and customer LAN, etc ...), replacement is offline - not hot-swap.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

When your system boots the npar should start up all by itself.

The npar is normally configured to start up a system running vpmon, which starts up the vpar monitor.

From there, other vpars can be configured to auto start with the auto start with the vparmodify -B command.

If you are losing configuration, there is a hardware based battery that might need to be replaced. It backs up the basic npar configuration.

The first time you configure the napr, you may need to configure it to auto start, though most HP-UX systems with this capability ship that way.

This is a really fun area to learn and I'd be happy to help further.

I have some good documents on the subject I downloaded from HP because they are playing musical document locations and its tough to find stuff right now.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor

Hi Stephen,

Hope you are very relaxed now to know things better from experts. The hardware maintenance not going to affect the partitions.

And as you mentioned, By using the key sequence ctrl-a, the administrator can switch between the virtual consoles for each vPar.

Thanks & Regards
Jayakrishnan G Naik
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

guys,
thank you all for your valuable messages to me!
there are still something confusing me:
1, can I boot that nPar? in my mind, you have to build an nPar to create vPar later, so to me the answer is yes, how about yours?
when replacing a HUCB, UGUY should take down from it, I did this job before, led to nPar configuration lost(though it was not hard to retried cause it was an one nPar superdome)
2, again in my mind, that nPar's boot disk should not be the same of those vPars, am I wrong? please explain this to me.

regards
Stephen

stephen peng
Valued Contributor

it is a PA-RISC superdome!