1752815 Members
6016 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

value for swap

Felix  Tabares
Contributor

value for swap

which is the critical value for swapping in an HP-UX in 11.23 and the optimum value?
is more the 85%?

Value which is recommended by HP for use of swap, for server performance?
5 REPLIES 5
singh sanjeev
Trusted Contributor

Re: value for swap

keep swap more then the physical Memory.[double]
Sanjeev Singh
Felix  Tabares
Contributor

thanks

but I really want to know what value you should put in a monitor system, what is the maximum value in %.

which would be a suggested value 80% 90% or more
Ricardo Pag├бn
Occasional Advisor

if you use a monitoring system nagios type, it is recommended to let you know when the swap rate is higher than 80% to have discretion to increase that percentage if necessary.
chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Felix,

Check this thread out.

https://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1449580

Were it talks about lotsfree, thats when the system will begin paging out memory to free up physical RAM.

Personally, while 11.23 for f.e. begins only to page to swapdevice, swapping doesnt really happen anymore, at 1/64 of physical memory which is around, (100 - (0.015625 * 100) = (100 - 1.5% ) = 98.5 % of physical ram, I would probably begin to watch closely to how physical ram gets filled up from the 90% mark, to have some kind of buffer in place.

If user processes/kernel/buffercache stabilize around 90% of physical ram, all is good, if there is over time a gradually increase of physical ram used by f.e. userprocesses, because the number of users of an application is gradually increasing over time and passing the 90% of physical ram usage, probably the system will have performance issues in the future and it might be prudent to order more RAM on beforehand, or take measures to stop the userprocesses from taking more memory, f.e. through prohibiting new users to use the servers application..

Greetz,
Chris
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

I recommend to have this doc. that is a good guide.