Operating System - HP-UX
1752786 Members
5952 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /var/stm/logs/os does not exist, please investigate.

Daniel M. Gonzales
Frequent Advisor

/var/stm/logs/os does not exist, please investigate.

I have a daily cleanup job that is now reporting that /var/stm/logs/os no longer exists. I checked my other servers (hundreds) and regardless of OS version, model, partition type, etc, the directory and it's contents exist. Without spending too much time investigating why the directory is gone, I would just like to recreate it (and it's contents) and just move on. If it happens again, then I will do further root cause investigation.

So how do I recreate /var/stm/logs/os? I stopped and re-started "diagnostic", but with no luck. Any ideas? Thanks. -Dan
3 REPLIES 3
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Have you tried just re-creating the directory?

# mkdir /var/stm/logs/os
# chown root:root /var/stm/logs/os
# chmod 755 /var/stm/logs/os

Regards!

...JRF...
Dave Polshaw
Frequent Advisor

I have had issues stopping and starting STM using the rc scripts - IE it just does not seem to work. To make sure the routines stop and start cleanly the only option I find works consistantly is to use stm. the mstm option for instance is (F)ile, (A)dministration, (S(TM Startup, S(T)M Shutdown. I am sure there is a cstm string but I can never remeber them! Maybe if you use the shutdown option, create the directories as specified and then do a startup?

Good luck.

Dave
Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens...
Daniel M. Gonzales
Frequent Advisor

Well, I went ahead and created the directory manually (same permissions and ownerships it had before) and bounced STM. The STM processes came back up, but nothing is being written to that directory yet. I checked another IA server running 11.31, it has the following files...

-rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 204800 Sep 11 15:05 fpl.log.14
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 204800 Sep 24 07:34 fpl.log.15
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 36224 Oct 9 16:54 fpl.log.16
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 96 Oct 7 03:20 log1.raw.cur
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 736 Sep 16 03:35 memlog

Guess I'll let it run for a while. Maybe re-install the software? Not sure at this point...love these little annoying issues. Thanks guys, have a good weekend. -Dan