2878 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

vdump

Jess_13
Advisor

vdump

Hi,

I would like to backup some of the files in my system. vdump is the command to do so right? Do I need to bring my server to single user mode or it can be proceed with multi-user mode?

Thanks a lot!
7 REPLIES 7
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Re: vdump

I don't think you need to be in single-user mode for using 'vdump'. Check out the manpage for more info and examples.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by "some of the files"?

"vdump" is good for full or incremental
backup of an AdvFS fileset (as the "man" page
says), much as plain "dump" is used for a
UFS.

If "some of the files" means "some particular
subset of the files in a file system", then
something like "tar" (perhaps with "gzip") or
a Zip archiver might make more sense.

All these programs work in multi-user mode,
but backups of open/busy files may have less
value than backups of closed/idle files, so
single-user mode can be useful.

Well-formed questions tend to lead toward
more helpful responses.
Jess_13
Advisor

Our file system is AdvFS and what I would like to backup are /, /usr and /var.

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

See also this thread:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=996567

To backup ALL your data, you need to run vdump for every file system reported by df -t advfs.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Manish PATHAK_2
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Surely you can take the backup in multiuser mode for all the available filesets but mke sure if you have Oracle or some other application that has changing or Dynamic Data i will propose you to first create the image filesets for existing one and then take the backup....It will be much organized way of doing the same...

Regards
Manish Pathak
Mulgund
Frequent Advisor

From Steven's response
"If "some of the files" means "some particular subset of the files in a file system", then something like "tar" (perhaps with "gzip") or a Zip archiver might make more sense."

vdump can take partial fileset (directory level ) dumps. Pl. chk. vdump -D option.

Jess,
Taking backups of a dynamic fileset is a different ballgame altogether. I hope you know the concept of "point in time copy" of a fileset. vdump alone will not help you to take backups of a dynamic fileset. Pl. refer to man page for clonefset also.
Also, refer to doc. suggested buy BLV for entire procedure to take backups of a dynamic filesets.

Hope this helps.
Srinivas