8776 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

vgchgid: Not enough space

Maxim Yakimenko
Super Advisor

vgchgid: Not enough space

Hi, collegues

I try to activate BC volume groups on cluster node, I do vgchgid before vgimport and it success for most groups but for two it fails with message "vgchgid: Not enough space". What to do?!
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: vgchgid: Not enough space

How many VGs you have now?

What's your HP-UX version?

If you have HP-UX 11.23 or older, the number of VGs is limited by the maxvgs kernel parameter: is it set high enough to accommodate all the BC volume groups?

http://docs.hp.com/en/939/KCParms/KCparam.MaxVGs.html

VG operations will usually create VG configuration backup files in directory /etc/lvmconf/: do you have enough disk space in your root filesystem for them?

MK
MK
Maxim Yakimenko
Super Advisor

This is HPUX 11.31. I started vgchgid buy tusc and saw that it fail on brk()

brk(0x78bc0000) ....................................................................................................................... ERR#12 ENOMEM
brk(0x78bc0000) ....................................................................................................................... ERR#12 ENOMEM
brk(0x76280010) ....................................................................................................................... = 0
brk(0x76282000) ....................................................................................................................... = 0
brk(0x76282010) ....................................................................................................................... = 0
brk(0x76284000) ....................................................................................................................... = 0

I suppose this is kernel tunable issue
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

errno 12
from /usr/include/sys/errno.h:
errno 12 = ENOMEM /* Not enough core */

[ENOMEM] Not enough space. During a system call such as exec(),
brk(), fork(), or sbrk(), a program asks for more space
than the system is able to supply. This may not be a
temporary condition; the maximum space size is a system
parameter. The error can also occur if there is not
enough swap space during a fork().

In other words, there is a memory limit. Check the value of ulimit -d (memory limited by the ci=urrent user's environment. Then check the value of kmtune or kctune for maxdsiz and maxdsiz_64:

kmtune | grep maxdsiz

maxdsiz should be at least 1GB in size and the 64bit value for maxdsiz should larger, perhaps 2GB.

Finally, check swap space with the command: swapinfo -tam to make sure you have more than enough swap space.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin