108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vgimport during EMC Snapview Clone

SOLVED
Go to solution
MD Shafiullah
Occasional Advisor

vgimport during EMC Snapview Clone

I am using EMC Snapview Clone feature to copy a volume group from one server to another. Both servers are connected to EMC CX3-80 storage.

After the clone LUNs are attached with server and when i issue vgimport command, the vg is created. But when i want to mount the lvol, it says,

vxfs mount: /dev/vgtest/lvol01 is corrupted. needs checking

After I do fsck, i can mount it. But it takes long time.

Why is it saying "corrupted" and why am i needing to do fsck?

Can you help?

Shafi
6 REPLIES 6
OFC_EDM
Respected Contributor

I'm not sure why it says corrupted.

But I do similar procedures and find it normal to have to run an fsck after a vgimport when presenting new luns with data already on it.

I'd be interested in knowing the technical reason as to why the fsck has to be run as well.

Cheers
The Devil is in the detail.
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It is normal that fsck is required after your snapclone is split (or whatever the term is). If instead you try to mount the filesystem as read only - it will allow you without doing the fsck.

Regards,
Ninad
ManojK_1
Valued Contributor

Dear Shafi,

while doing EMC Snapview Clone there are any write acticities happening on the respective source lun.

While doing snapclone in oracle normally we are putting the database in backup mode so there will not have any write activity on the respective lun at that time.Every write activity will happens in redo log and in cache.

The same way you have to stop all the write activity on the respective lun while doing a snapview clone, if it has been done there will not be any need to run fsck on the second node while mounting.

Manoj
Thanks and Regards,
Manoj K
MD Shafiullah
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ninad,
I shall try to mount it in read only mode and see what happens.

But could you tell why fsck is needed? I want to know the reason behind it.

Thanks
Shafi
Gary L. Paveza, Jr.
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Is the filesystem on the source system mounted? If so, that's why. When a filesystem is mounted, it is "dirty". Only a umount of the filesystem (or fsck) clears that bit. So, if you do a split of an open filesystem, then you must fsck it on the secondary host.
MD Shafiullah
Occasional Advisor

Thanks guys for your help. It is now clear to me. As the source volume was mounted, it was tagged as "dirty". Thats why I needed to do fsck on the clone volume. Also it took only few seconds to do fsck. So I guess there is no problem in doing that.

Thanks all once again for the help.

Regards,
Shafi