1752780 Members
6278 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

vintela breaks sam's user tool

Paul Wasik
Frequent Advisor

vintela breaks sam's user tool

Hello, there is an issue with SAM's 'User' tool (in accounts for users/groups area) and our vintela environment which causes a memory fault (and suggests a core dump occurs), see attached. the issue resides in both 11.11 and 11.23 HPUX's. patching and updating SAM software has caused no change. our vintela version is VAS 2.6.48.11.

The only thing I can figure is that when the users tool looks to vas (via nsswitch.conf) it gets all the Active Directory users and can't handle the magnitude (much like drinking from a fire hose).

But It seems that all available info shows "no problem" and myself and Quest (vintela vendor) are down to analyzing the SAM core dump (which I can't find). however, when 'vas' is removed from the /etc/nsswitch.conf file, all is well, I just have no users.

Is SAM even compatible with vintela? where does (if at all) SAM save the core files? any advice? thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Re: vintela breaks sam's user tool

Paul,

I strongly believe that is what HP calls an unsupported solution, SAM is a simple and picky tool for HP-UX.
I do not believe that Vintela will be able to integrate that easily to SAM, their programmers might find a way in the future, after a lot of work :-)

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Paul,

Also usually core dumps are save in the working directory of the program, this command might be able to find the core dump:

#find / -name core -exec ll {} \;

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
Paul Wasik
Frequent Advisor

No such luck with the cores ... I did find this stealthy sam step with a 'tusc' on sam:

rmdir("/var/sam/core") ... = 0

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

rm_DIR_? That looks like SAM is deliberately blocking the core dump. Creating a directory named "core" will prevent core files from being created.

Apparently SAM creates /var/sam/core when it starts up. You might want to try starting SAM, using another terminal to rename /var/sam/core to something else, and then trying to do whatever causes the crash. Hopefully this will allow the core dump to happen and you get some data for your analysis.

After you've captured your core dump, be sure to manually clean up the directory you renamed.

MK
MK
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>MK: That looks like SAM is deliberately blocking the core dump.

From the error message "(coredump)", the corefile was created.

If it aborts after awhile, can you use gdb to attach to it?
Paul Wasik
Frequent Advisor

the /var/sam/core dir is created on sam startup, contians nothing ant any time. this elusive core file would get the gdb treatment, if I could find it.
Paul Wasik
Frequent Advisor

recent (and rather obvious) revelations indicate that the nsswitch.conf file is not compatible with the 'vas' source (see below example) as defined in the man page, see further below.

root@grapeape[/root]# cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# /etc/nsswitch.files:
#
# @(#)B11.23_LR
#
# An example file that could be copied over to /etc/nsswitch.conf; it
# does not use any name services.
#
passwd: files vas
group: files vas
hosts: files dns [NOTFOUND=return UNAVAIL=continue TRYAGAIN=continue]
ipnodes: files
services: files
networks: files
protocols: files
rpc: files
publickey: files
netgroup: files
automount: files
aliases: files

The following sources may be used:

Source Uses
files /etc/hosts, /etc/passwd, and so forth
nis NIS (YP)
nisplus NIS+
ldap LDAP Directory Server
dns Valid only for hosts, ipnodes; uses the Internet
Domain Name Service.
compat Valid only for passwd and group; implements "+"
and "-".
(See "Interaction with +/- syntax" below)
Paul Wasik
Frequent Advisor

Found that it's not an issue with vintela, but a group name limitation with HPUX. I was able to reproduce the issue by adding this to the group file (on a non-vintela) server:

A123456789z123456789z123456789z123::666:jhony
A123456789z123456789z123456789z123::667:jhony

closinig thread as it appears to not be a vintela issue.
Scott Lindstrom_2
Regular Advisor

Has anyone else seen this lately? We recently implemented Vintela and now are getting *exactly* the same error as Paul attached in the opening post.