Re: vista/fedora7 dual boot

~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

That's great.

You could make Vista the default by:

1. default=1
OR
2. Paste the 3 lines (starting from "title Other") above title Fedora (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7)

You could even change "Other" to "Windows Vista".

You can find instructions to boot Linux / Fedora from Vista Boot loader using the instructions given on:
http://port25.technet.com/archive/2006/10/13/Using-Vista_2700_s-Boot-Manager-to-Boot-Linux-and-Dual-Booting-with-BitLocker-Protection-with-TPM-Support.aspx

However, I would recommend that you stick with Grub Boot loader.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry for the split post.

To make Windows Vista the default, I would recommend that you cut+paste

title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

above title Fedora (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7)

The advantage is, you will have the default option displayed above Fedora. If you use default=1, the option on the bottom will be highlighted by default. It is only logical to move the cursor down to select the OS we want.
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Congrats on getting through that one.

Nice feeling to get it accomplished, isn't it?

By the way, I know you are a bit new to the forums, but you might want to start showing your appreciation for all of the time that people donate here by assigning points to the answers they provide. Right now it looks like you have never done so.

"I have assigned points to 0 of 19 responses to my questions"

If you will follow this link ( http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/pageList.do?userId=CA1311682&listType=unassigned&forumId=1 ) you will find all of your questions with posts that have not been rewarded.

To help understand the point system, you might want to read the following excerpt:

"When you return to view the answer, please rate it by assigning points on a scale of 1-10. To assign points, simply login and click the dropdown points menu next to each reply. Use the following scale when rating a response:

N/A: The reply was a clarification to my original question
1-3: The answer didn't help answer my question, but thanks anyhow!
4-7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need help.
8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! I'm a happy camper!

WHY SHOULD YOU DO THIS?
There are 3 reasons why we feel rating replies is such an important feature:

1.) Others have taken time to help you, so please give them credit for their help.
2.) Your rating will help your peers earn points toward their Forums status, and you will validate the quality of the solution you've received.
3.) Other readers will understand which answer best solved a problem, enriching the community knowledge being shared."
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855