Did you mean: 

Re: vmunix: file: table is full

SOLVED
Go to solution
Super Advisor

vmunix: file: table is full

Hi,

We got message like this ..
prod132vmunix: file: table is full..& that time server was not accessible...So we power cycle the server now it is fine..IThis happen 2 time in one month .. go through the forum & come to know that i need to increase my nfile value. before increasing that i just want to confirm as this server is imp. to us.
B.11.11;9000/800/L1500-7x.
#sar -v 1
06:23:28 text-sz ov proc-sz ov inod-sz ov file-sz ov
06:23:29 N/A N/A 160/2048 0 1450/2728 0 1390/5174 0

prod132-root@ /var/adm/syslog > kmtune|grep -i MAXUSERS
maxusers 512 - 512
nclist 8292 - (100+16*MAXUSERS)
ninode 2728 - ((NPROC+16+MAXUSERS)+32+(2*NPTY))
prod132-root@ /var/adm/syslog >

Current value of nfile is 5174 right?
Shall i make it double or triple?
Is it require to increase maxusers value also?

Regards
11 REPLIES 11
Outstanding Contributor

The cost of doubling or tripling this value is only a slight increase in the size of the kernel to accomodate the larger table required. Your memory consumption will thus increase - slightly. I would at least double it and probably triple it.

Pete

Pete
Super Advisor

Hi Randal,
Thank you for quick reply, If you think double or triple will not be perfect then can you suggest me what value we can use for nfile, what about MAXUSERS is it require to increase also? as already we face reboot 2 times so we want to increase as much as we can ....is there any limit of increase? we can do it with sam right?

Regards,
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

maxusers: This kernel parameter is used in various algorithms and formulas throughout the kernel. It is used to limit system resource allocation and not the actual number of users on the system. It is also used to define some system table sizes. The default values of nproc, ncallout, ninode and nfile are defined in terms of maxusers.

Please check this:
http://docs.hp.com/en/1219/tuningwp.html

Are you ussing Oracle? Wich version? Have you followed the recommendations of Kernel tuning preliminary to the installation of Oracle?

Rgds.
Outstanding Contributor

If you explicitly define your nfile limit rather than using the formula, then maxusers does not enter into it. Or, if you prefer to retain the formula, then I would suggest using SAM to adjust maxusers so you can see what effect your adjustments will have.

Pete

Pete
Super Advisor

Hi,
Database Oracle 8.1.7
Application OVO

regards
Ani
Regular Advisor

Super Advisor

HI,
My current nfile value is 5174, now i will make it 10,000 via sam sothat sam will do every thing i will just change the value in sam & it will do the needful.Please find the attachment i have some question ..

Regards,
Super Advisor

here is the attachment
Acclaimed Contributor

>I will make it 10,000 via sam

Just put 10000 there and SAM will do it.

>In LHS I will choose "Specify New Formula /value" & "Formula/value:" field I need to put 10000 right?

Right.

>Then what does "Calculated Value" mean?

If you have a complex formula, it will be the actual value.