Operating System - HP-UX
1752749 Members
4976 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

vold.o really required when VxVM isn't used?

Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

vold.o really required when VxVM isn't used?

Hi,

I found while doing a forums' search for vold.o
that this exceptionally large object file within rootfs was a common suspect for space consuming but probably not really needed files with regard to full / issues.

I am also a bit short of space in / and wonder if we really require this file to be resident in a *build* directory, let alone since we don't use VxVM on this box at all but LVM.
Isn't it common practice that after a build developers usually run a "make clean" when space is scarce and a soon relink with short recompile and processing time isn't really required?

# find / -xdev -type f -size +100000c -exec ll -d {} +|sort -k 5n|tail -3
-rw------- 1 root sys 10806272 Feb 9 11:24 /etc/lvmconf/vgsapz01.conf.old
-rw------- 1 root sys 11071488 Aug 9 2007 /etc/lvmconf/vgZ01.conf
-r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 29414983 Nov 4 2006 /etc/vx/static.d/build/vold.o
Madness, thy name is system administration
8 REPLIES 8
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: vold.o really required when VxVM isn't used?

Hi Ralph:

I would agree with your comments. If space is at a premium, you could always copy the 'void.o' object to another filesystem in the event that you need/want it. I don't use VxVM but it appears to me that your server did at one time, given the 'vgsapz01.conf.old' and 'vgZ01.conf' files (?).

Regards!

...JRF...
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Hi James,

yes, I should get rid of the vgZ01.conf and vgsapz01.conf.old in /etc/lvmconf.
The first dates back to an outdated LVM VG that no longer exists, and the latter is a backup that is available by the host's external backup/archiving anyway.

Interestingly, /etc can also fill up your / FS when you run ServiceGuard and have a lot of Packages an switching activity, and forget about each SG package's own log file.
However, here this is no issue since there is little switching/failing over and hence little logging.
But on other clusters of ours I already thought about symlinking to some logging dir on /var instead.
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

But wait, what originally made me post this was that when I ran a vgcfgbackup on the shared VG on the standby node after having extended the shared VG by another SAN PV, I suddenly got this vxfs message (maybe only a coincidence?):

# dmesg|tail -1
msgcnt 1 vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace - /dev/root file system full (1 block extent)

I ran a find down /dev but could only see device files and symlinks in there.

Do you have an explenation for the sudden vx_nospace /dev/root message?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Do you have an explanation for the sudden vx_nospace /dev/root message?

Why do you say sudden? You have no idea when that message was put into dmesg. Do you have something in syslog.log?
Do you have enough space in / now?
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Hi Dennis,

I said "sudden" because this message appeared right after I had issued vgcfgbackup.
I only rummaged it up from the dmesg ring buffer since it was shorter to type than grepping for it in syslog.log.
And I have abt. 10 MB still left free on /,
as was the case during the execution of vgcfgbackup (of course plus the abt. 7 MB that are now taken by the /etc/lvmconf/vgsapz01.conf)

Here is the error message's occurrence snipped out from syslog.log with preceding LVM commands for syncing of lvmconf of this shared VG with the primary node's.

Jun 22 13:08:39 warnow LVM[3746]: vgexport vgsapz01
Jun 22 13:13:55 warnow LVM[3929]: vgimport -v -s -m /tmp/vgsapz01.map vgsapz01
Jun 22 13:14:13 warnow LVM[3941]: vgchange -a r vgsapz01
Jun 22 13:14:45 warnow vmunix: msgcnt 1 vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace - /dev/root file syst
em full (1 block extent)

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I said "sudden" because this message appeared right after I had issued vgcfgbackup.

Ok. And syslog.log shows something similar.

>And I have about 10 MB still left free on /,
as was the case during the execution of vgcfgbackup

I can only assume that vgcfgbackup used up all of your space during that time.
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

That's probably the case, presumably by some temporary copy.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Ralph:

You are probably aware of this but, remember that the default action for the LVM commands is to backup the volume group configuration into '/etc/lvmconf'. More importantly, the current file for the volume group is renamed with a '.old' suffix' and a new one created. If you are satisfied with the new configuration you could simply remove the '.old' file.

By the way, I misread and mis-spoke earlier when I said "... but it appears to me that your server did at one time, given the 'vgsapz01.conf.old' and 'vgZ01.conf' files...". Had I looked more carefully at the directory that you reported them in, I would have known that they were LVM (not VxVM) related.

Regards!

...JRF...