6115 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vxvm question

navin
Super Advisor

vxvm question

Hi,
I'm intended to vgimport a volume group. The root disk is still fine. But for testing purpose i did vgexport of the volume group.And would like to test the import with out re-installing the root disk.How should i do this.pls advice
thanks
Learning ...
2 REPLIES 2
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

So how does this pertain to vxvm? You're asking lvm questions, not vxvm.

Aside from that, "the root disk is still fine" - what do you mean by that? What VG disk did you export if not root? Presumably, since you are apparently still running, you exported some other VG, let's say vg01. Re-importing vg01 is not going to "re-install" the root disk.

Pete

Pete
TTr
Honored Contributor

First your title says vxvm and you are asking about vg exporting and impoting. "vg" implies LVM, "dg" would imply VXVM. Which one is it? Second what do you mean by "...test the import with out re-installing the root disk"? If you have exported a boot disk and you want to test whether you can boot from it or not, the only absolute test for it would be to boot from it. You can import the boot disk as a non boot disk but this only would prove that all the volumkes and their contents are present. It would not test the bootability of the disk.