Operating System - HP-UX
1752567 Members
4991 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: when i checked to find out whether the account is locked or not i got the following msg.

SOLVED
Go to solution
arun khatwani
Frequent Advisor

when i checked to find out whether the account is locked or not i got the following msg.

when i checked to find out whether the account is locked or not i got the following msg.what does it mean.

[myhp01:/]# /usr/lbin/getprpw nsp0234
System is not trusted.
[myhp01:/]#
9 REPLIES 9
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: when i checked to find out whether the account is locked or not i got the following msg.

Hi:

The message means just what is says. Your system isn't trused and hence you can't use 'getprpw' [which stands for "get-protected-password"].

Regards!

...JRF...
Viney Kumar
Regular Advisor

how can we check system is trusted or not
arun khatwani
Frequent Advisor

but still i need some more brief description about this
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

From the man page:

getprpw displays the user's protected password database settings. This command is available only to the superuser in a trusted system.

The message means exactly what it says: your system is not trusted, therefore the account is not locked. The only way to lock an account in a non-trusted system is to replace the password with an asterisk (*) - you can visually check /etc/passwd for this.

Pete

Pete
arun khatwani
Frequent Advisor

therefore it means that the accounts are never locked on untrusted systems.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

You can check whether the system is trusted or not by looking for the presence of the /tcb/files structures. If not present, the system is not trusted.

Pete

Pete
arun khatwani
Frequent Advisor

What is the diference between trusted system and not trusted system.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Pete: replace the password with an asterisk (*)

You don't need to replace the whole password, just add a "*" before the current value. That way you quickly could put it back.
VK2COT
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Run command:

/usr/lbin/getprdef -r

... to see if your server runs Trusted Password database.

Cheers,

VK2COT
VK2COT - Dusan Baljevic