New Discussion юеВ

Re: which os?

SOLVED
Go to solution
sudhapage
Regular Advisor

which os?

Hi all,

I am basically HPUX admin with 1.5 years experience. Now I have got a chance for linux site. So I would like to know which OS is having good future?

I know whatever it is, if we are strong that's ok. But simply I want to know Which OS is having some nice improvements?

Solaris or Hpux, linux(redhat,suse,etcc..),AIX, ????

Please Share your thoughts!

Regards,
Sudhakaran.K
9 REPLIES 9
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

HP-UX is supported by a large company. Linux is open source and virtually unsupported. I know which I'd choose for something critical!

As for Solaris and AIX - I've never used Solaris, but AIX is good. HP-UX is my favourite flavour of unix, but you won't go far wrong with any of the big companies.

Mark Syder (like the drink but spelt different)
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Hi,
as you have posted in HP-UX Sys. Admin. most likely the responses are going to favour HPUX. ;-) You could also post in Linux and get more feedback.

http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpux11i/downloads/hpux11iroilinux.pdf
Shows earlier comparison HPUX vs Linux, centering on Return on Investment
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor

HPUX is certainly more robust and supported OS with full maturity.
But if you want to play arround and learn more about GNU applications and networking LINUX is the way to go.
I certainly am an HPUX guy with 5 years of experience but after having lasted LINUX last year, i love working on it more and i am sure it has the future as almost all the vendors have started adapting it and supporting it. Same like HP, HP also gives support on Linux no-days
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Sudhapage,

Linux is really good, it also have a good marketing, but is really lacking on the part of support of the mission critical site, which makes it no suitable to run in that type of environment, at least not at your own risk.

Linux is good, but it bugs me so many vendors and sometime they come and out with the years.

Experience is always good, not matter in what, if you are going to move to a linux shop make sure that they offer you more benefits, job stability, and why not, better salary than your actual job, then that is going to be a really nice background for you eventually.

In my case, for now I prefer a define path, with HP-UX I can head to a specific direction and know there is a route to get there.

Linux is just to wide, too many vendors, too many third party applications to really set yourself a long term goal.

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
Pupil_1
Trusted Contributor

I've had some experience with RedHat Linux and as all the others have said, HP beats them in support.

In case of Solaris, Sol 10 has been a bad choice for me. Sol 9 is the best.

I love AIX becuase of the flexibility it gives or may be because JFS belongs to them !!

As per me, the call is based on what you are going to run your server !!
There is always something new to learn everyday !!
spex
Honored Contributor

Hi Sudhakaran,

For a production system, the commercial UNIX flavors (HP-UX, Tru64, AIX, Solaris, etc.) can't be beat in terms of reliability and robustness. They've been around for decades. That being said, Linux is the way of the future, and I believe it will eventually eliminate commercial UNIX. It seems that commercial UNIX vendors feel the same way, as each offers Linux on their products.

Due to the open nature of Linux, there's always more than one way to do things. Moreover, Linux changes much more quickly than commercial UNIX. From a sysadmin standpoint, this means more to learn, and more to re-learn.

Commercial UNIX will be around for a long time yet, so it really boils down to personal preference.

PCS
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

My first choice is HP-UX 11.whatever. They are all good.
Advantage of 11.23 on Itanium is that it also runs PA-RISC code. 11.23 does not run Itanium code on PA-Risc.

AIX sucks. Big time. Not only for how it works, but mainly because of support and updates. The only *good* thing in AIX is the journaled file system, which is really superb, and has on-line defragmentation and size change by default. (OnLine-JFS for HP-UX is expensive).
smit can be considered better than sam, but personally, I'd rather use command line tools.

For Linux, your choice is controlled mainly by what you want to do with it: desktop or server, web services, file server, database server, firewall, ...).
See http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php?firsttime=true for a rather good guiding test. Choose do the test at the bottom

I'm personally quite comfortable with OpenSUSE 10.1, which has also good 64bit support.

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You have actually choice between legacy (HPUX, AIX, Solaris etc) and LINUX (RH, Suse, CentOs etc).
The only advantage of LINUX, IMHO, is a cheaper HW. If you choose RH or Suse, you have to manage licensing as well.
The main advantage of legacy is excellent support and certification of all 3rd party SW.
When you work with LINUX, you must be ready for problems with drivers, SW/HW certification etc.
HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor
Solution

Naturally, being this is a HP-UX forum - we will be a little biased. :)

That said - I have been an Unix Admin since 1993. HP-UX is my choice for an O/S. I also work on Solaris and AIX and Linux.

To be a good admin, one should be well rounded in multiple O/S's.

With Linux being somewhat free, IMHO, compared to mainstream O/S like HP-UX, your wage will be lower.

I would stick with HP-UX.
I'm just about to leave the HP Tech Forum - HP-UX has a future - believe me.

Rgds...Geoff

Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.