New Discussion юеВ

which software should I buy

Bruce Zhang

which software should I buy

Hi Everyone,

I am new to HP unix, but my company has two old HP system, they are
HP-UX XXXXX B.11.00 U 9000/785 2014275090 unlimited-user license
HP-UX XXXXX B.11.23 U ia64 1323744785 unlimited-user license

We want to upgrade the OS, not sure if it is better to upgrade the hardware(if cheap enough).

Which version should we choose to run some opensource code for example: buildbot.

Any input will be great appreciated.

Thanks you
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

Re: which software should I buy

The requirement for buildbot is python so I will recommend you to use 11.23 and download python from here - http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Languages/python-2.5.2/

regards,
ivan
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Can you please type in "model" and come back with more details on what you're running. Also run "machinfo" on the ia64 so that we can see how much memory you have on this one. You should be able to get better answers once this is done.

If you need better hardware, you might want to take a look at the aftermarket, used rx2600s are not that expensive but it depends on your definition of cheap.

Most Open Source software written to POSIX standards runs fine on HP-UX, I use a lot of them (many compiled in-house) but obscure software might be happier staying on Linux. From what I can see, buildbot is in Python, so all you need in that particular case is a Python interpreter and one is available on the Internet Express DVDs.

Good luck
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Bruce,

The first machine is a workstation class hardware and I do not think you can put anything later than hpux v. 11.00 on this puppy (well may be 11.11 but since it is going away for support not too far from now, upgrading to that is not a good option in my opinion). So This machine is a definite hardware upgrade candidate.

the second machine is an Integrity (Itanium) class machine and depending on what you are doing with it, it might be beneficial to upgrade the hardware. In order to see the machine specifics, please post the output for

model; machinfo

on this machine.

And as a word of caution, do not go willy-nily about OS upgrades. Make sure the application you are running on these systems are capable of running on the new OS version and the application vendors will support you on the new OS when a problem arises. Otherwise, running an old, deprecated piece of software your employer insists on keeping, on an ancient piece of hardware under an OS version which has been out of support for so many years is better than trying to run it on a cutting edge hardware with the latest OS and having myriad of problems with no vendor support.

Every shop's requirements are different. So you need to be the final decision maker after weighing your options and requirements.