Operating System - HP-UX
1753502 Members
4894 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: will there be problems to run a production on a platform without any vendor support?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: will there be problems to run a production on a platform without any vendor support?

Imaging this: Your software depends on a software ID, the servers system board is dead and you need a replacement. Only HP can adjust this value. Nobody else can. Even a bunch of spare servers will be useless.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

will there be problems to run a production on a platform without any vendor support? yes

Would that be a good idea to do that? no

and how should he pursue the management not to implement the production on a not supported platform?

depending on the size of your corp, but i suggest to play the blame game. you have to make them clear that for _any_ problem, sw or hw nobody is available for help. if they ordered their employees to use this machine then it's their on ass on the line if it goes wrong.

also make clear that loading all currently available patches doesn't mean the software won't contain bugs anymore, certainly security wise this is a big issue. and no way to fix the holes either.

if they have no money, or very little, they're better off selling the N class for scraps and buying a cheap intel box with linux on it for the money.
i read there are no apps on it anymore so there is no issue with a certain progam not working anymore. and you'll have a recent OS, with updates, HW under support which is at least as powerfull as your dated n class piece-o-junk.
Jupinder Bedi
Respected Contributor

dont go for production support on the platform which is out of support . if any goes wrong nobody will fix it . you can use as test box.
All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

If you go to support, it is very expensive as they are old machines and you would rather buy new one with warranty.
Gordon Sjodin
Frequent Advisor

In the past I have seen companies get burnt by paying very high prices for old compatable hardware. If an old production system goes down you may need the parts quickly and for some of this old stuff you can pay through the nose for it compared to what you could buy today for the same money.

ie. $4000 for a 4 gig disk drive.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Why don't you give points to people? Why? It's come up before in your 2000 questions to the forum. Why?
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Why don't you give points to people?

Why do you care?
Alex Mantelos_1
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

May I add some more comments?

a) If you work for a publicly-listed company,
remind your top managers and the board of
directors that they are PERSONALLY liable for
ensuring the business is protected.

After all, it is not their money they are
"saving".

b) Give them a scenario of projected costs
to fix the obsolete hardware and software if
problems occur.

Two years ago, I learnt about a disaster
recovery for a company in Australia
which used HP-UX 10.0. They had such an old
type of server that they were forced to
purchase 1 (or was it 2 GB?) disk drives on
Ebay for more than 10,000 AUD apiece. Somebody figured out they
could "blackmail" them for hardware. When
people let themselves be taken for a ride...
Not that I condone this kind of rip-offs,
but that is the reality of what can happen.

In short, DOCUMENT that your warnings
were ignored and sit back and enjoy.

Never worry about things you cannot change.

VK2COT