1753409 Members
7290 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: x-windows error ?

Bamadog
Occasional Advisor

x-windows error ?

I am using putty and exceed to start x-windows with the xclock command. I can set my DISPLAY to a coworker's IP and the xclock displays correctly. When I set the DISPLAY to my IP I receive several common errors. "can't open display, fatal IO error 131" This may be a simple fix but I am running in circles.

Thank you, Bamadog
11 REPLIES 11
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

uname -a

The X windows environment is not installed by default on HP-UX 11.31(11iv3) You may need to install it.

The font server is not configured to run either any version of HP-UX.

vi /etc/rc.config.d/xfs
Change the start variable to 1

save

/sbin/init.d/xfs start

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Bamadog
Occasional Advisor

fyi, the x-windows is working correctly on my server. I can execute the xclock , xterm from my PC and display the xclock , etc on my coworkers IP , PC. Only when my env DISPLAY is set to my IP address does the xclock fail.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

uname -a

> [...] I can execute the xclock , xterm from
> my PC and display the xclock , etc on my
> coworkers IP , PC. Only when my env DISPLAY
> is set to my IP address does the xclock
> fail.

With my weak psychic powers, I can't see what
"my env DISPLAY" is actually set to.
Assuming that it's actually correct, ...

Is your (Windows?) PC running an X server
which is listening for external connections?
From the HP-UX system (or somewhere else),
compare what the following command does for
each of the Windows systems:

telnet PC_addr_or_name 6000
Bamadog
Occasional Advisor

I regret not giving enough details. I have a PC workstation (windows ) connecting via putty to a unix server. I have an active exceed session to except the x-windows session. My environment varible "DISPLAY" is correctly set for my IP using ipconfig in a windows command prompt. After logon i enter the "setenv DISPLAY 000.000.000.001:0.0 "
(my PC display IP address) Command xclock fails. When I test the same steps using a (coworker's PC display IP address) "setenv DISPLAY 000.000.000.002:0.0 " Command xclock display the xclock correctly on that PC workstation. I have reinstalled exceed. x_windows is correctly working for one display and not working for my PC display. ** The IP's above are not correct because of a government site. Thank you for your help. It appears to me that my IP is "blocked" But I do not know why.
Bamadog
Occasional Advisor

I regret not giving enough details. I have a PC workstation (windows ) connecting via putty to a unix server. I have an active exceed session to except the x-windows session. My environment varible "DISPLAY" is correctly set for my IP using ipconfig in a windows command prompt. After logon i enter the "setenv DISPLAY 000.000.000.001:0.0 "
(my PC display IP address) Command xclock fails. When I test the same steps using a (coworker's PC display IP address) "setenv DISPLAY 000.000.000.002:0.0 " Command xclock display the xclock correctly on that PC workstation. I have reinstalled exceed. x_windows is correctly working for one display and not working for my PC display. ** The IP's above are not correct because of a government site. Thank you for your help. It appears to me that my IP is "blocked" But I do not know why.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...]
> telnet PC_addr_or_name 6000

Well?
Bamadog
Occasional Advisor

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

>telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

A "connection refused" error message would have meant your Exceed is not accepting connections from the network. But a "connection timed out" error suggests there is probably a firewall blocking the connection.

It may be a software firewall on your Windows workstation, or a dedicated firewall device somewhere on the network.

Alternative suggestion: before connecting with PuTTY, change its settings to enable X11 forwarding. In the connection setup dialog's "tree", it's at Connection -> SSH -> X11. Then connect to the remote host as normal.

When X11 forwarding is enabled, the sshd at the remote host should automatically set up a ~/.Xauthority file and the DISPLAY variable for you. The value of the DISPLAY variable may be something like "localhost:10.0". This is normal for SSH-forwarded X connections: don't change it. Just try starting xclock.

Now, xclock's connection will go to remote sshd's X proxy at "localhost:10.0"... which will forward the X traffic in encrypted form within the SSH protocol stream to your PuTTY. Then PuTTY will pass the X traffic locally to your Exceed, hopefully bypassing whatever firewall is giving you trouble.

In addition, using SSH's X11 forwarding is much more secure than "setting DISPLAY to point to your workstation" at the remote host: if you set DISPLAY manually, your X traffic will pass through the network with no encryption at all. Anyone can monitor your keypresses and see what's output to your X windows.

MK
MK
Bamadog
Occasional Advisor

Thank you , I am using the X11 option in putty. I need to request that my IP be able to receive communication from the remote servers. If needed I will open a new request.