108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: x11 forwarding?

SOLVED
Go to solution
fizan
Super Advisor

its a windows machine from were they are trying to connect via x-manager. so wat needs to be checked?
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> its a windows machine [...]

How long did we wait for that bit of info?

Perhaps in the next few days you could
start to describe the software on "my
desktop". For example, what are you using
as a X server? SSH client?

I'm through asking. The rest of you can have
at it.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Ok so you are using x-manager on your windows desktop to connect to your rx2600 server.

Have you connected succesfully from your windows desktop using plain ssh connection (NO X11) using an ssh client such as Putty?

Have you verified your x-manager configuration on the desktop?

Which mode of x-manager do you use? xstart or xdmcp? For your needs, the "xstart" method is the most appropriate.

Have you done the necessary configuration on the x-manager xstart client?
fizan
Super Advisor

ya by using x-manager--x-start we are connecting form windows.. what needs to be configured over there?
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

I vote we put the beast out of its misery. This is way too painful. Let's unplug the animal and do the humane thing and bury it in the ground
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
fizan
Super Advisor

in the x-start username as oracle10 and providing the passowrd and connecting says same failed to startup the ssh-agent server!! check the logs.

i have loged in using oracle10 in the server and there is no user .profile will there be any impact if the .profile is not there in oracle10?
TTr
Honored Contributor

> same says same failed to startup the ssh-agent server

I 'll try one last time.

I doubt that the message is that cryptic as "...failed to startup the ssh-agent server!! check the logs". The ssh-agent where? Check the logs where? windows or unix server? Well what do the logs say? Rather than giving us half a line of your interpretation of the error, how about a cut-and-paste from the log file itself?
DharmaRao G
Advisor

Remove # prompt in "sshd_config" file X11Forwarding yes
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

If you're using PuTTY on Windows, you need to check the "Enable X11 Forwarding" box in the "Connection / SSH / X11" configuration screen for the session. The defaults in PuTTY 0.60 have it disabled.

To save this as part of your default session settings so it will be enabled on all new sessions you create, click on the "Default Settings" session and click "Load," then select the Connection / SSH / X11 screen and check the Enable X11 box, then select the Session screen again and click "Default Settings," then click Save.

I usually also enable compression, in the "Connection / SSH" screen, since Xwindows traffic is fairly compressible and you can get noticeably better performance - even to the point of doing tolerable X over a 56k dialup link.