7973 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

yppasswd and /var/adm/ptmp

AZayed
Super Advisor

yppasswd and /var/adm/ptmp

Hi All,

I have an issue when updating a NIS user password from NIS client the yppasswd create /var/adm/ptmp and don't remove it eventhought the password change successfully on NIS master. 

How can I solve this? also, how can I know if I need any patches for my NIS master server HP-UX 11i v3?

Thanks alot.

Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
3 REPLIES 3
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: yppasswd and /var/adm/ptmp

>how can I know if I need any patches for my NIS master server 11.31?

Probably the same as any other 11.31 server, you should keep them all up to date.  Are you current with patches?

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

According to 11.31 yppasswdd man page, yppasswdd can write a log file. If the daemon has been started using the same command line as the examples in the man page, the log file should be /var/adm/yppasswdd.log. Does it exist? If it exists, does it contain anything informative?

MK
AZayed
Super Advisor

Hi Matti,

Yes it's exist but it doesn't write any information.

# ls -ltr /var/adm/yp*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 0 Sep 4 11:39 /var/adm/yppasswdd.log
#

This is the output for ps -ef :

root 11535 1 0 Sep 4 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/netsvc/yp/rpc.yppasswdd -D /etc/NIS -l /var/adm/yppasswdd.log -m passwd DIR=/etc/NIS
Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.