4142 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MONITOR utility file format.

John Welsh_2
Regular Advisor

MONITOR utility file format.

Hi all,

I am trying to create graphs from the VAX VMS Monitor utility /record  file.

It seems that the file format of that file differs between VAX and Alpha.

T4 on Alpha has an executable  T4$MON_EXTRACT.EXE  that can convert a .DAT file from

ALPHA Monitor to a CSV format file that I can use on TLViz to produce graphs.

When using the VAX Monitor .DAT file T4$MON_EXTRACT gives the error " unrecognised record format"

Does anyone know of a similar T4$MON_EXTRACT for VAX VMS ?

I have also sent this question to the email address on the T4 and Friends web site.

Thanks,

John W.

======

8 REPLIES 8
John McL
Trusted Contributor

The record structures are described in Appendix H to the System Management Utilities Manual M-Z (i.e. the 2nd of the two PDF versions of this manual). 

Also available online in html at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/6048/6048pro_contents_005.html#toc_appendix_h.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

John,

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but have you looked at the MONITOR CONVERT command?

$ monitor
MONITOR> help convert

CONVERT

The CONVERT command converts a pre-Version 5.0 MONITOR recording
     file to the current format.

Format

CONVERT  file-spec

Additional information available:

Parameter  Qualifier
  /OUTPUT

Maybe you need to copy your original file to an Alpha system, CONVERT the file and then apply the T4 tools? There may also be more information in the old VAX to Alpha migration manuals.

A crucible of informative mistakes
John Welsh_2
Regular Advisor

Thank you Steven for your most helpful input.

If you knew anything about the VMS VAX Monitor utility you would know that information

relating to a specific VAX VMS version isn't necessary in this case as a Monitor recording from any version

from VAX VMS V5.0 onwards will playback on all versions up to VAX VMS V7.3.

My question was  is there a version of T4$MON_EXTRACT.EXE that can extract from a VAX VMS

recording file ?

Have a nice day.

John Welsh_2
Regular Advisor

Thanks John,

Copying to Alpha and converting sounds like a good idea.  I will give it a try.

Regards,

John W.

======

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

While trying the convert won't hurt anything, I doubt it will work. The convert utility is to convert teh old Monitor format pre-V5. There was a significant change to the file format in V5 that made reading the old files difficult.

The base question remains: You need a way to read a VAX file into the T4 series of programs. If not directly available, you should be able to extract the required information into a CSV file that T4 can read.

Dan
John Welsh_2
Regular Advisor

Thanks Dan,

Yes  the convert didn't do anything as the file was already in the correct format for later versions

of VAX VMS.    Also a VAX V5.5-2  MONITOR.DAT file can be "played back"  OK on ALPHA V7.3-2 MONITOR.

T4$MON_EXTRACT must be the limitation so I will try to extract the data from the MONITOR.DAT file

in some other way.

Thanks for your input.

H.Becker
Honored Contributor

>>> Also a VAX V5.5-2  MONITOR.DAT file can be "played back"  OK on ALPHA V7.3-2 MONITOR.

As MONITOR accepts both qualifiers /input and /record you may want to try that on Alpha. You may need to specify all the classes and qualifiers as you did for the original recording. But I assume MONITOR will write a new output file and it will have the native, aka Alpha format.