Operating System - OpenVMS
1752681 Members
5199 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT on shared disk, when MULTINET_ROOTs are on non-shared system disks?

MichelleP_1
Advisor

MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT on shared disk, when MULTINET_ROOTs are on non-shared system disks?

Greetings,

We have two clusters on which OpenVMS (v8.4) and Multinet (v5.3) are installed to per-node system disks (on BL860c i2s) that are not shared. Common OpenVMS files have been moved to a shared disk. Is there a supported way to redefine/move MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT to that shared disk as well?

I've looked through the documentation and page 3-2 (146) of the Messages manual (http://www.process.com/tcpip/mndocs53/multinet_messages.pdf)says that the logical is defined in START_MULTINET.COM and should not be modified. So far, I haven't found any postings through here, Google, or Process Software's site that address this situation exactly.

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Michelle

3 REPLIES 3
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT on shared disk, when MULTINET_ROOTs are on non-shared system disks?

There's no information readily obvious in the Mutinet manuals around configuring that product for heterogeneous clustering; this sharing would appear undocumented and unsupported.

Process Software has a support-related mailing list available, per the Multinet Support Web Page, and a mailing list which would be a more direct resource than asking on a third-party forum.  

Or assuming that you have Multinet support, call the Process folks directly and ask.

MichelleP_1
Advisor

Re: MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT on shared disk, when MULTINET_ROOTs are on non-shared system disks?

Update: I just called Process Software and the answer to my question is yes, it is possible to move MULTINET_COMMON_ROOT to a disk other than the installation disk. They are sending me the instructions for doing so.

It may have been one of the fastest support calls from hello to solution that I've made to anyone.

MichelleP_1
Advisor

I stand corrected... the instructions received were for moving the installation to another disk, not for putting the common area on a different disk than the installation disk.

So, for now at least, the answer to my original question appears to be "no", after all.