108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Newbie Question time:

JustinDoss
Advisor

Newbie Question time:

1.  Getting the error when I try to log into one of my systems:

ERROR ACCESSING SYSTEM AUTHORIZATION FILE

ERROR IN DEVICE NAME OR INAPPROPRIATE DEVICE TYPE FOR OPERATION.

The errors I see when booting seem related:

%MOUNT-I-SH <---goes to fast but I am pretty sure it had something to do w/ shadow volume mount of DUA101

2.  Is there any way to transfer licenses from one server to another?  Same exact hardware but shutting a server down in one location and standing up in another and we would like to not have to purchase new licenses.

2 REPLIES 2
Hoff
Honored Contributor

1: boot the system conversationally via the console serial line or the iLO, and figure out why the disk with the SYSUAF file hasn't mounted, or why the definition of SYSUAF has gone sideways, or why the disk as dropped offline.    If necessary, a log of the bootstrap can be recorded into a file known as STARTUP.LOG, and instructions for the use of STARTUP_P1 parameter (usually via SET STARTUP_P1 "DP" at the SYSBOOT> prompt are in that article.  

2. License transfers and other legal questions are best discussed directly with HPE or VSI.   (Most auditors won't react all that well to a "but some random poster in a forum said it was okay" after all.)   Details vary by situation, country, server, and probably even by some of the licenses involved.    Start here for the license transfer discussion, but expect to have to find your way through HPE or VSI sales to somebody that can assist with this.

Please pick a title relevant to the question.   Please don't apologize for being a newbie, we are all newbies at something and everybody was a newbie at OpenVMS once.   Please remember to post version and architecture information.   Asking question to a thread also works better, as questions tend to get tangled. 

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> 2. Is there any way to transfer licenses from one server to another?
> [...]

Copy the license data base?  Leaving the legal questions aside, there
also exist some LICENSE options:
      help license issue
      help license move

These commands tend to alter/damage the source license data base, so
you might wish to make a copy of the .LDB, and use /DATABASE to specify
(and, hence, mutilate) the copy instead of the original.