4974 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Oracle RDB executor processes limit.

SOLVED
Go to solution

Oracle RDB executor processes limit.

Hi all,

We have an Rdb database running on an HP Integrity server under OpenVMS 8.3, which is accessed by users on Windows NT using the "ODBC Driver for Oracle Rdb". Each executor process (GENERI…) manages one ODBC connection:
$ show sys /proc=generi* /nohead
00000420 GENERI004000172 HIB 6 947 0 00:00:00.40 4262 2543
00000421 GENERI004000272 HIB 6 135798 0 00:01:58.54 6904 1920

From time to time ODBC driver returns “SQLSRV-E-NO_EXEC: No executor processes are available at this time” assuming that some connection limit is reached.

Could anyone advise on how to modify this limit in order to allow more ODBC connections?
Thanks,

BR,
Dmitry
7 REPLIES 7
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Oracle RDB executor processes limit.

Under 7.3-2 of VMS and RDB V7.1-441 we run a utility which show the services and connections.
Here we run sys$system:sqlsrv_manage71

SQLSRV> show services;

Maybe helpful ?

SQLSRV> help

Information available:

-input -output @ ALTER Client_Server_System CLOSE
CONNECT_TO_SERVER CREATE DISCONNECT_SERVER DROP
DROP_SERVER EXIT Getting_Started GRANT_USE_ON_SERVICE
HELP KILL Maintenance_Tasks Management_Commands
Online_Offline_Server_Management OPEN Oracle_SQL_Services_System
RESTART REVOKE_USE_ON_SERVICE Server_Management_Utilities
Server_System SET SHOW SHUTDOWN START

Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Dmitry,

First a warning. I am not a DBA and I surely can't tell you what the best values are for your system. However, it appears the example processes you listed are SQL/Services V7.2 GENERIC service executor processes. I'd suggest you look at the SQL/Services documentation that you can find at http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/rdb/rdb_doc_index.html.

As per Thomas's response you want to $run sys$system:sqlsrv_manage72. As an example, from the SQLSRV> prompt:
SQLSRV> connect server;
SQLSRV> show service generic full;
SQLSRV> alter service generic max_executors ;
SQLSRV> show service generic full;
SQLSRV> disconnect server;
SQLSRV> exit;

You should read the documentation to get an understanding of the implications of changing the service configuration before doing so.

Bill
Bill Hall

Bill, Thomas,

Thanks for your replies, that's exactly what I was searching for.

Bill, thanks for the link, I'll take a look at this. However I don't see another way on how to permit more ODBC connections to the database. It's designated for designer work only and must handle 20-30 ODBC connections (when it was handling only 10 by now).

Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Dmitry,

Increasing the service's max_executor setting is the way to allow more connections. More connections means more processes and more attaches to your database(s). Which means you have to know if your system has available process slots (is MAXPROCESSCNT high enough) and can you support additional users attaching to the database(s)? Just a few things to think about and there might be others I haven't considered.

Bill
Bill Hall
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

And keep in mind, that there is also a maximum user limit on the database itself.

regards Kalle
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

And altering the number of users will work but is unlogged, t.i. you need to take a backup afterwards.

Wim
Wim
zlristovski

Can anyone help me about his error, no exec process, I read it that I should to increase the max executors in OpenVMS, but my question is: Is this is the only solution?