108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Patches for OpenVMS 7.3-2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Barratt
Frequent Advisor

Patches for OpenVMS 7.3-2

I am in the process of planning an upgrade to my workstation from 7.3-1 to 7.3-2 and went to look at what patches I may need to install.

I identifed an UPDATE patch containing 9 patches, half of which have been superseded, and another 17 patches which I think I would like to (or am required to) install.

First question: Is there another UPDATE patch imminent which will roll up most of the patches and allow them to be installed in one hit ? If so, when ?

second question: many of these 17 patches state the requirement for reboot - I think I have worked out I would need to do about 10 reboots if I reboot after each patch that requires it. Is there a way to determine which of these reboot required patches could be performed together to save on reboots ?

Thanks,
chris
7 REPLIES 7
John Gillings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Chris,

There will be another update patch released, but not in the immediate future. At the moment, there are new FIBRE_SCSI, SYS, HBMM and HBMM_FIBSCSI about to be released.

The "reboot required" doesn't necessarily mean you need to reboot between each patch. There are occasional patches which clearly state "reboot immediately" in the release notes. If the patch doesn't say that, then you can do a batch of patches together and reboot once.

Apart from stated dependencies, the order doesn't matter. I tend to collect all the kits in one directory and:

$ PRODUCT INSTALL * /SOURCE=dir

That said, I'd recommend you reboot after the UPDATE patch, before installing any newer/dependent patches.

Log a case if you want to go into any more detail.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

If you mean 'which patches to install before upgrading', there is ONE which is required in certain circumstances. Seee thread http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=506370 - especialy Haim Godovnik's reply.

After upgrade, apply 7.3-2 patches like said.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

you may also find the ALPHA_V32_MASTER_ECO_LIST useful.

Generally I do one reboot except for UPDATE kits (as described by John)

I was under the impression that there is another UPDATE patch imminent - VMS732_UPDATE-V0300 is due out, in theory, some time this month, so you may want to wait for it if you're not in a particular hurry to upgrade. This won't contain every single previously released patch, though, but will roll up a good deal of them, making the overall patch process somewhat easier.
Chris
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Chris,
Just an add on... i would suggest that you have /SAVE_RECOVERY in your product install mentioned above

rgds
Mobeen
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

The review notice of VMS732_UPDATE-V0300 was posted this morning (internal HP). That means the kit will probably be released externally in about 2 weeks.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Chris Barratt
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
Reckon I'll wait for the next SYS_UPDATE.
Cheers,
chris