108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Patching Integrity server VMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
slabrat
Frequent Visitor

Patching Integrity server VMS

I have been givena task to fix the time Date booting issue on our 1 and only RX2660 Server running 8.3.1h1 VMS. 

The patches are available to me to install. However I am a new system manager  familiar with VMS just never had to manage the system. Everybody is retiring (except me) 

So could someone point me to the correct procedure to install these patches? I know we used to FTP them from a site and then install from a non system disk; 

I vaguely remember this being done and have a remote Ideas how to do this but a procedure would help. I have a spare

system to practice on so it's not like I will destroy the system. 

The is a guy at HP support that  sent me a website to gete the patches but we haven't  heard back from him. I am able to download them to a PC so I have access (when the site is not crashing.) 

I just need a procedure for confidence.

The most recent post I found was from 2006  Things could have changed since then 

Sound pitiful enough??    

Thanks for any help in the right direction

10 REPLIES 10
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

slabrat
Frequent Visitor
Solution

I found an Upgrade  to 8.4 that will get  installed  in the morning . Sounds much more sane than installing  about 10 gig  of patches. I guess I didn't put enough information out here. The patch database kept crashing also. 

Probably a little burnt out and got this handed to me. I will be a better poster next time.  

Found a bunch of info when I uncompressed the upgradeto,8.4 For the patches I kept looking for info in the docs. and I couldn't find anything. I'm not sure but I think I can copy the zip to a VMS disk and uncompress it there. I didn't know how to do this. I do now..  after reading the upgrade docs. 

All may be well after all. 

Weather needs to warm up that would help.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

slabrat
Frequent Visitor

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

slabrat
Frequent Visitor

I have received no help at all on this forum All I got was grief from some punk 

Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

slabrat -

Unfortunately, you haven't really provided enough information or asked a specific enough question such that we can answer.    Look around at other posts in this forum - a lot of people get a lot of good help when they present well thought out and documented situations and questions.

I can tell you this:  VMS is not Windows.  There is no "OpenVMS Update Service" that you can run and have it go get and install the patches you need.   

Brad McCusker

Software Concepts International

www.sciinc.com

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

slabrat
Frequent Visitor

Open office is a miracle and free. 

The timebomb is  a bug in 8.3.1h1 Integrity RX2660 after the system runs for 5 years then next boot asks for time and date before booting into VMS   DD:MMM:YYYY 

If the date is set to 2010 it will continue to boot ok.  There is a patch I64_v831h1_Master_ECO_List 

And VMS831h1I_update=v1400 

Then there was the dependencies I won't list that many here due to the vast number of them. Didn't want to load that many patches at once. THis system has never been patched out even messed with since installation 5 years ago. 

So I read somewhere on another forum that Upgrading to 8.4 would also fix thisproblem. Top explain why this is so important , This system never needs booting;however from time to time if there are issues in the night ( We are running large machinery) Sometimes someone Like a general technician will boot the system  out of desperation.the only way we have to enter the date is through the ILO  Which they have no Idea how to get to it or use it. We don't have room for a serial console, So when the boot it they use  terminal session procedure. Then they wake my boss up wheo can be really cranky the next day and b_ _ ch me out because it didn't autoboot. 

I am not a VMS guru You may have noticed, I am stuck doing many things I have minor knowledge of. 

Yesterday I fired up a spare system loaded a image to it from the running machine and upgraded it. Much easier than trying to patch it. 

As for the rest of your questions and comments I have chosen to ignore them due to the snide geeky remaks you keep making I don't have time for that. 

I would say thanks but we got off on the wrong foot and you have not been that   nice a person so farewell for now. I am leaving here to spend the summer in France  and probably won't be on here anymore.

You should seek counseling aboutr your anger issues. I'm pretty sure you would not have said those things at least in the manner you did hiding behind a monitor to my face

Joke is over