SOLVED
Go to solution
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

Re: -RMS-E-CRE, ACP file create failed

This is the key:

%DCL-W-IVVERB, unrecognized command verb - check validity and spelling
\%DCL\

There appears to be a command "%DCL" in a command file somewhere, either sylogin.com, login.com or a procedure called from one of these procedures. Find it. Right now this causes an error and terminates the login.

Jur.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

You may want to place something like the following near the top of your system wide login commmand procedure (normally sys$manager:sylogin.com)

$ mode = f$mode()
$ if mode .eqs. "NETWORK" then exit

There error modifying device messages are probably due to

$ set terminal

commands in a login command file, and these cause problems for non-interactive processes.

Jon
it depends
newbe
Occasional Advisor

Dear Jon,

Could you please confirm me ,if I have added the below lines on top the system wide login file (sys$manager:sylogin.com) can solve the issue or apart from this do I need to configure the terminal .Because I have no idea in OpenVMS platform so I would like to confirm with you experts before going to the customer place.

sylogin.com -- on remote server
$ mode = f$mode()
$ if mode .eqs. "NETWORK" then exit

Please advice me

Thanks,
Abi
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

No offense intended, but my advice is that if you don't understand what that code does and what the implications are, then you should not be making changes to your customer's system. You haven't given enough information for us to tell it that is appropriate or not. It wouldn't be appropriate if there are thing that must be done for every processes, for example some auditing, process specific logical name definitions, etc.

You do not want to execute a set terminal command from anything but an interactive session, otherwise you will get an error.

The errors:

%SET-W-NOTSET, error modifying DSA30:
-SET-E-INVDEV, device is invalid for requested operation
%SET-W-NOTSET, error modifying DSA30:
-SET-E-INVDEV, device is invalid for requested operation

are most likely due to

$ set terminal

commands somewhere in the login command procedures, either the system wide one (sys$manager:sylogin.com, or the login command file specified for the username that is attempting to log in (system in the example you gave). Normally the user's login procedure will be the file login.com in the home directory of the username, but it can be anywhere. It is specified in the user authorization record for the user.

Since the error is repeated, one may be from the system wide login, and the other from the user's login.

So you probably want a conditional that only executes the set terminal command if the mode is "INTERACTIVE".

Does this customer not have a support company with VMS experience? If you are supposed to be their support, you need to get some training. Until you get formal training, I would suggest downloading and reading the VMS System Manager's Essentials, and the VMS User Guide. Also, Hoff's VMS Frequently Asked Questions. And you really should have a system you can try things on. If you don't have a real system you can play with, you should investigate getting an emulator (Alpha or VAX) that runs on a PC.

Jon
it depends
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Some reading fodder on LOGIN and SYLOGIN

http://64.223.189.234/node/352
http://64.223.189.234/node/955