4427 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SNMP notification about end of WEBES "Service Obligation"

Witas
Occasional Advisor

SNMP notification about end of WEBES "Service Obligation"

Dear Community,
I am using System Event Analyzer V5.1 for OpenVMS to monitor the system. DCL script is analyzing the output of 'wsea v /tra' command periodically and sends SNMP trap to monitoring platform. Yes, this Webes version is not supported any more and as I understand HP recommends to use ELMC. At the moment it is not an option for me and I am satisfied with existing version as long as Service Obligation is Valid.

What I am trying to make working is notification about coming expiration. I prefer SNMP notification.

WSEA promises to send notification in :

0 years, 60 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds
0 years, 30 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds
0 years, 15 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds
0 years, 5 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds
0 years, 4 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds
0 years, 3 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds
0 years, 2 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds
0 years, 1 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds

before service obligation will expire.

Using the following command:
SYSTEM> desta snmp on

I enabled SNMP notification and set which host should receive service traps.

SNMP notification is enabled:
SYSTEM> wsea status
System Event Analyzer for OpenVMS Itanium V5.1 PATCH2  (Build 86)
.  .  .
SNMP notification: enabled.
But... still I am not able to capture with tcpdump any SNMP trap informing that Service Obligation is going to expire.

At the moment I cannot find any peace of documentation which can help me to debug/troubleshoot this problem.

Please point me in right direction. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thank you, Witas.

6 REPLIES 6
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Witas, it would be most helpful if you had included the Service Obligation Start and Service Obligation End dates that were part of the WSEA STATUS output.  You can also setup multiple notifications to failsafe those that you'd prefer (like enabling SMTP and LOG too).  Has your service obligation already expired?

bob

Witas
Occasional Advisor

Bob,
Thank you for your response. When Service Obligation expires i am using 'desta servob install' command to renew it for 1 year.   At the moment I would like to start from SNMP notification and play on lab system, I change system time and set any specific Service Obligation start and end date using 'desta servob install' command. Maximum validity  it allows me to set is 5 years.  I am setting end date in 61 day and starting tcpdump but can see no trap captured during 25 hours.

BR, Witas.

Witas
Occasional Advisor

@Witas wrote:

.. I change system time and set any specific Service Obligation start and end date using 'desta servob install' command.

sorry,  i meant 'desta servob change' command.

BR, Witas.

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Are you (still) getting expiry messages using email or the logfile?

Witas
Occasional Advisor

Bob, i have no progress on this issue.

Email notification is not enabled at the moment. LOGfile notification is enabled. Does it mean I should see new Event in errlog.sys ? I can see no event related to service obligation. Please let me know if you seen such errlog.sys  events on your system, thank you. For me it will be useful to know at least that it works on other systems.

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

No, the logfile notification would probably be sent to SYS$MANAGER:OPERATOR.LOG or, possibly, the logfile that WEBES/DESTA uses.  I don't think that WEBES or DESTA inserts anything into ERRLOG.SYS at any time.