labadie_1
Honored Contributor

"Insufficient dynamic memory" in .com file

Hello

Itanium OpenVMS 8.4 with no patches,

HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Industry Standard 64 Version V5.7 - ECO 2
  on a _HP_ VMM   (1.73GHz/6.0MB) running OpenVMS V8.4
This is a virtual machine in HPVM.

A customer has a command procedure that fails with "Insufficient dynamic memory".

This command procedure does mainly

$ sync/entry=xxx/timeout=60

and

$ tcpip mount

an NFS device

I asked him to add various

$ sh proc/memory

in his command procedure

With the default CTLPAGES, I saw CTLPAGES beginning to decrease after 486 iterations, and then, each iteration lost 0.55 Kbytes, until the error message.

I raised CTLPAGES to 2000 to allow the procedure to run longer, this time CTLPAGES decreased after 494 iterations, and eventually hit the error message.

There is clearly a memory leak.

I have looked at the text of the various patches for 8.4 and found nothing relevant.

Before applying Tcpip 5.7 Eco 4 and all the other patches, has anybody seen something similar ?

regards

5 REPLIES 5
abrsvc
Respected Contributor

Re: "Insufficient dynamic memory" in .com file

A few questions come to mind:

1) Is this a new problem or has this procedure always has this error?

2) If new, what changed?

These are usually "programming" problems that can be traced to either extremely large arrays being accessed (unknowingly) or to files being opened and not closed when processing completed as examples.

There is not enough info posted yet to help too much.

The description of CTL PAGES may provide you some clues:

CTLPAGES specifies the size of P1 pool. CTLPAGES is automatically changed only when the process logical name table, DCL symbols, or some layered products require an increase in the size of the P1 pool area.

Dan
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

1) this procedure has always had this error

2) nothing changed to the best of my knowledge

I am working on a small reproducer

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

No info about what the procedure does has been posted. Perhaps a description would help. If we knopw what you are attempting, we can perhaps suggest areas for more research.

Dan
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Gerard,

Given your symptom

>With the default CTLPAGES, I saw CTLPAGES beginning to decrease after 486 iterations, and then, each iteration lost 0.55 Kbytes, until the error message.

I'd be interested to see exactly which command resulted in the memory loss, and which command generates the error when it occurs. It sounds like a bug, but without more detail about the body of the loop, it's difficult to say for sure. For example, are there any F$GETQUI calls to work out the queue entry? Maybe you're leaking queue context?

If the error is INSFMEM (I'd have thought, of all people, you would know that you should always paste exact and complete error messages!), in DCL context, that often means too many symbols or process logical names. Are your TCPIP MOUNT commands generating logical names which aren't being cleaned up? Check the symbol table and process logical name table the first time you see a bump in CTLPAGES.

That said, if it's not your own leak, even if you find a clear bug with a text book reproducer, I don't like your chances of ever getting anything fixed. So, your best bet is to try and work around the problem. One potentially simple way would be to isolate the body of the loop and execute it via SPAWN, that way the leaky sequence is done in a subprocess, so it's all recovered when the process exits.

A crucible of informative mistakes
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

John

The user has done a "clever"

$ set message/nofacili/nosever/noident/notext

in his command procedure, so the message in the log file is

Insufficient dynamic memory

I will restore the normal display

The command procedure loops doing  

ssh "-q" "-o" "batchmode yes" 'node_name' @'comfile'

with node_name varying (60 nodes)

comfile varies, but does
tcpip mount dnfs
or
tcpip dismount dnfs

>>> I'd be interested to see exactly which command resulted in the memory loss, and which command generates the error when it occurs.

So do I :-)
I will add some other
sh process/memory
inside the command procedures launched

There is not any call to f$getqui in this procedure or in the procedures called by the top one

>>>Check the symbol table and process logical name table the first time you see a bump in CTLPAGES.
Thanks, I will add it