Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agentless Management - server discovered in SIM by serial number instead of server name

SOLVED
Go to solution
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Agentless Management - server discovered in SIM by serial number instead of server name

I have been converting all our Gen8/9 servers over to agentless monitoring (from combination of SNMP and WBEM based host agents).  Its been working great - can't believe I did not convert over sooner.

However I have one problem server - when I discover the iLO, the associated server is discovered by its serial number in SIM instead by its server name and it comes in with a status message of "Monitoring of the system is suspended indefinitely." with a gray "/" icon for the status icon instead of a green check mark.

  • I am using the same discovery job as all the other iLOs
  • I have confirmed the iLO and server are both in DNS correctly
  • I have confirmed no firewall issues
  • The AMS service is installed on the server (latest version)
  • The iLO is NOT the latest firmware, but many other servers have same or older firmware, and they worked fine.
  • I have rebooted the server and restarted the iLO
  • I am running HP SIM 7.5 but not the most recent hotfixes.  But again, other servers similar to this one worked fine.
  • I have confirmed the SNMP and WBEM legacy agents have been removed

Any suggestions?

Thanks

NK

8 REPLIES
n0kia
Valued Contributor

Re: Agentless Management - server discovered in SIM by serial number instead of server name

I would reinstall the AMS + Ilo 4 channel interface drivers for windows

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Agentless Management - server discovered in SIM by serial number instead of server name

Thank you.  We will try that during our next maintenance window.

NK

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Agentless Management - server discovered in SIM by serial number instead of server name

Also if that does not work, delete the Serial server and ILO and only discover the ILO. IF the ILO is set correctly you should get the OS/Servername correctly.

Kind regards,

Andrew
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Agentless Management - server discovered in SIM by serial number instead of server name

I am still having problems with this one server.  Finally got a maintenance window to reboot and now the servers is at:

iLO 3/4 Channel Interface Driver 3.30.0.0

iLO 3/4 Management Controller Driver Package 3.30.0.0

HPE ProLiant Agentless Management Service 10.60.0.0

From what I can tell - the latest available.  iLO has been restarted as well as the server.  But everytime I add to SIM, it comes in with the SN and unmanaged.  Even if I change the preferred name, it would not help because the device in unmanaged in SIM.

There are no errors during the discovery of the iLO - green success indicator.

NK

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Agentless Management - server discovered in SIM by serial number instead of server name

Oh - and I have also updated HP SIM to the latest 7.5 hotfix pack.

NK

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Agentless Management - server discovered in SIM by serial number instead of server name

Finally solved this problem.  In the iLO Management configuration, the "SNMP Alerts" section item "Trap Source Identifier" was set to "iLO Hostname" instead of "OS Hostname".  Once I switched it to "OS Hostname" I could sucessfully discover the server from the iLO.  But I am confused why this would be a problem...this should only affect traps not the discovery.

NK

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Agentless Management - server discovered in SIM by serial number instead of server name

Correct this should not matter but i've set all my ILO's to this setting due to the traps. Otherwise al allerts land on the ILo and that does not work for me.

Kind regards,

Andrew
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Agentless Management - server discovered in SIM by serial number instead of server name

Yeah - same here.  Our standard is to use server host name for the traps - but this one slipped through the cracks and was set wrong. 

My guess it that something was funky in the iLO configuration and simply making a switch somethere caused the iLO to "reset itself"...not physically reset, but rather clear out the bad data somewhere.  So the traps setting was not really the problem - but making a change to the trap settings "cleared the junk out", wherever it was...

NK