Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753506 Members
5176 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Automatic Event Handling - Manage Tasks event never executed or send out email ?

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Automatic Event Handling - Manage Tasks event never executed or send out email ?

Hi All,

I've configured new HP SIM alert that I require to email me instantly for any critical issue trigerred or listed in any of my HP server infrastructure, but somehow the alert never fired up or send me any email ?

View Definition: HP Server Critical Events

Task name: HP Server Critical Events
Owner: DOMAIN\Administrator
Time filter: Business Hours
Event collection: Important Events

severity is Critical
severity is Major

System collection: All Servers

system type is Server

Action(s):

Send e-mail To:ITAdmin@DOMAIN.com
CC:
Subject:Server Critical Alerts
Message format:HTML
Encoding:ISO-8859-1

E-mail settings:

E-mail SMTP host: smtp.DOMAIN.com
Sender's email address: HPSIM@DCHP01.DOMAIN.com
Server Requires Authentication: No

Is there anything that I need to do to make surethe above tasks sending out email regularly for critical alerting system ?

Thanks.

Best regards,
5 REPLIES 5
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Automatic Event Handling - Manage Tasks event never executed or send out email ?

Did you do a test email? Is this configured in the automatic event handeling? It looks like you did but just to be sure. You could try to send a trap test from one of your servers to see if you see that event in the collection Important events.
Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Hi Andrew,

It seems to me that the email sent out after the scheduled IP rage scan completed, so I guess it is not instaneous.

Is that how HP SIM supposed to work ?
Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Emails are triggered by events, events are send from object that are added to SIM and have the SNMP trap option configured to send events in case of a change of status of hardware, software or agent status.

Do you see events on the devices that you got an email from? And were the times roughly the same?

Polling should not generate event, discovery will. Polling timeouts can also trigger events on the SIM server like polling timeouts, these can hit your filter and thus the email trigger.
Kind regards,

Andrew
Landfall

Pardon for the interruption...but I'm trying to use an external SMTP mail provider that requires authentication.  The text you displayed looks like it came from a configuration file made by the Event Notifier Config.  Is this true or did you simply type it into the message?

I noticed the line that states "requires authentication: No".  Since my SMTP email service requires authenitcation, do you know how I can pass credentials to my SMTP service?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

if you go to the menu option options> Events> Automatic Event Handling> Email settings you can see the option Server requires Authentication. Select the option and fill in the credentials.

Kind regards,

Andrew