Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748177 Members
4114 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Benefits in installing HP SIM vs. configuring HP Insight management agent in each HP servers ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Benefits in installing HP SIM vs. configuring HP Insight management agent in each HP servers ?

People,

I'd like to know what is the actual benefits of installing or configuring HP SIM v7 in the data center as oppose to just uisng HP Insight Management Agent configured in all HP servers ?

Is there any requirement or prerequisite in all of my servers before installing and configuring HP SIM ?

Thanks. 

Best regards,
8 REPLIES 8
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Benefits in installing HP SIM vs. configuring HP Insight management agent in each HP servers ?

If you ask me the real advantage to having SIM is a central setup from where you can manage your agents(config and deployment) and events. And you can have a virtual with SQL express just to see what i does for you. If you need help with setting up a SIM config you can post your questions here and we will try to help you where possible.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Andrew,

So far from what I can see is that the entire HP rack and Blades are installed & configured with the HP Agents which reports by email when the status changed.

So I'm still trying to understand what's the importance of having HP SIM in the environment when we already got email alerting from each of the server fleet ?
Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello again,

The advantage is that if you use SIM to scan your subnets you see which servers are not monitored and see if there are servers that have a health status that's not green even if you did not receive an event. You can see if all your servers have the same patch levels SPP/PSP. You can also use SIM to update your servers to a certain baseline. You can create filters for which events you want emails or at what time. So in short you can centrally manage your servers from one point. 

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Ah I see,

So what about the server warranty?
Can I get that report as well using HP SIM and then get a reminder before it is expiring ?
Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Where you looking for this ? :

Obtain contract and warranty reports when you integrate HP SIM with HP Insight Remote Support.

http://www8.hp.com/nl/nl/products/server-software/product-detail.html?oid=489496

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Yes,

I'm trying to understand what each software/tools can do for the current IT department.

So yes, I've downloaded the HP SIM v7.4 now and as for HP Insight Remote Support, does it comes as free plugins or it is a paid software with a license required ?

Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

Look here for more info : https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=RSSWMBASE

A part from the link : HP Insight Remote Support 7.x provides remote support to certain devices under warranty, HP Care Pack Service or HP Support Contract, including Proactive Care contracts.

So you would need a Carepack or support Contract or if your product is still under warranty.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Yes, that does make sense.

Thanks for the assistance Andrew.

Best regards,