3426 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-TC-MIB won't compile

dananeisler
Occasional Collector

CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-TC-MIB won't compile

Hello,

I'm trying to monitor my UCS C260 using SNMP traps sent to HP SIM. In order do import the Cisco MIBs into SIM, you compile a .cfg file. One of the MIBs, CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-TC-MIB, will not compile. When running the mcompile command, I get the following error message:

C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\mibs>mcompile CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-tc-MIB.mib

HP Systems Insight Manager Mib Compiler, Version 5.0.2.1

Copyright (c) 2003-2006 Hewlett Packard Corporation

Compiling CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-tc-MIB.mib

Line: 128: Error defining object: expected a label, found reserved symbol {

Mib compilation failed.

All of the other MIBs compile just fine and I don't see anything wrong with the MIB I downloaded from Cisco.

Any idea what might be going on here?

7 REPLIES 7
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Re: CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-TC-MIB won't compile

Could share the line 128 of your Mib file? I guess you will find an name which is already defined inside an other HP Mib file for Cisco devices. 

dananeisler
Occasional Collector

Here is a link to the MIB: ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/ucs-mibs/CISCO-UNIFIED-COMPUTING-TC-MIB.my

I've also attached it.

BPE
Esteemed Contributor

I can only guess but in Line 128  Gauge32 is used  if you look at the beginning of this file, Cisco expects that Gauge32 will be imported from the  file SNMPv2-SMI.MIB.  Did you import this file before? 

mxmib -l shows you what mib files you already loaded into SIM. 

CucsAaaAuthRealmFsmCurrentFsm ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS        current
    DESCRIPTION
        ""
-->    SYNTAX        Gauge32 {
        nop(0),
        updateRealm(200)
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry,  I totally forgotten to mention,

that you only need  to import the mibs related to traps.

Fastest way for us was:

1. Enable unregistered events in SIM.

2. Send some test traps from the new device ( in your case the UCS).

3. Inside SIM you will see the trap OID in the Event details.

4. You can associate to the corresponding mib file by an internet search "snmp trap trapOID".

5. Check the imports inside the mib file for this trap and verify with mxmib -l that all the imports are already loaded.

6. get the missing mib file, mcompile and load them into SIM before you compile and load your mib file containing the new trap definition (Some times the imports file have also dependencies).

dananeisler
Occasional Collector

I checked and SNMPv2-SIM.MIB is loaded. I reregistered it and tried as well. I still get the same error message. Looking closer at the mib, gauge32 seems to be pulled in outside of any other mib. It's actually listed before SNMPv2-SIM.MIB.

The error seems to be related the the "gauge32" object. If I remove the line 128 section, the error message moves to the next "gauge32" section. No idea how to resolve that.

dananeisler
Occasional Collector

I didn't have unregistered events enabled before. THANKS!

I'm now seeing events show up but they just say "generic unregistered" for event type. Looking at the event details doesn't seem to give me the OID info. Example:

Enterprise OID String. 1
Generic Trap ID. 6
Specific Trap ID. 2

Mib Information
The associated MIB File Name for this trap is cpqgen.mib and the MIB identifier CPQGEN-MIB

So, now I'm stuck again. I don't see where I can get the OID details.

Thanks for the help so far! This is great info and will certainly help the entire community!
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

I am about to implement/test Cisco UCS in SIM as well.  Were you able to get the MIBs successfully loaded and are you getting hardware events now?

Thanks