Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752633 Members
5777 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Can I discover OAs/enclosures without discovering the network devices in it?

Giuseppe81
Advisor

Can I discover OAs/enclosures without discovering the network devices in it?

Hi there,

I have enabled discovery filters and configured to only disover ilos and servers.

But when I discover an OA, it tries to discover the switches, too.

But I do not have the rights...and I dont want to.

The networking team, manages the swtiches on their own.

Any ideas on how to discover OA without networking devices?

Thanks

Giuseppe

10 REPLIES 10
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I discover OAs/enclosures without discovering the network devices in it?

In the General options you can slect what to discover. It will try and if it finds it's a switch it will not be added.

Why don't you want to discover the switches ?? Depending on your answer there are more options you can try.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Giuseppe81
Advisor

Re: Can I discover OAs/enclosures without discovering the network devices in it?

Hi,

This is what I did...i configured a filter to only discover ilos and server.

But it tries to discover the switches...

The network and storage team do monitor their switches on their own...they dont want me to monitor their cisco and brocade switches.

Regards

Giuseppe

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

That is the whole issue it scans the objects and when it sees that it's à switch the switch is not added. So every time the enclosure is identified the switches get scanned. You could try to disable SSH as à protocol if you don't use SSH for any credentials you have filled in. From a pure monitoring view you don't need SSH. The other opltion you can try is to discover the switches and then set them to susspend from monitoring for ever. Not sure if that stops the scans.....
Kind regards,

Andrew
Giuseppe81
Advisor

Hi again,

I think I do need SSH to successfully discover the OA, dont I?

I tried to uncheck SSH in the general protcoll Settings, but then he will always skip the whole OA/Enclosure, Blade etc.

This is why I thought I do need SSH...

Am I wrong?

Regards

Giuseppe

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

I hate to say it, but the OA discovery uses XML reply to identify the devices inside the Enclosure so identification should work just fine without SSH. Can you mail the logfile for the OA identify when SSH is disabled ?

Kind regards,

Andrew
Giuseppe81
Advisor

Hmm...strange!

I discovered the OA again and disabled prior SSH. Now I get major events when trying to discover the ILOs.

And: It tries to discover the switches again...AND: It does not discover the ESX Servers itself.

Any ideas?

Log is attached

Giuseppe81
Advisor

Sorry...I'll attach the log on wednesday.

Regards

Giuseppe81
Advisor

Good morning folks,

here's the log attached.

1. I did uncheck SSH

2. Do I need to have valid credentials for a vmware user? A vCenter User? root?

3. hostname-ilo are the DNS-A-Records for the iLO Interfaces

4. The discovery finds iLOs and switches but not the ESX Server itself...is that normal?

5. Do I have to configure OA or iLOs in a special way?

6. What do I have to do to monitor the OA, the iLOs and the esx Servers itself?

- Its not satisfying yet...

7. DL Machines are OK now, after some little issues, but the BLs and OAs are frustrating...

Thanks for any hints...

Giuseppe

Giuseppe81
Advisor

...and here's the log ;)