Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752754 Members
4814 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Deploying HP SIM as Virtual Machine caveats ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Deploying HP SIM as Virtual Machine caveats ?

Hi All,

May I know if it is OK or possible to deploy HP SIM as Virtual Machine ?

If so then what would be the caveats that I need to know or limitations as a Virtual machine as oppose to physical machine ?

Thanks,
Best regards,
14 REPLIES 14
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

HPSIM can be deployed onto a virtual machine. You can also deploy the remote support software as well.

The main caveat mentioned is network performance as HPSIM does generate quite a bit of traffic. It's not caused issues here.

We run it virtual and monitor around 40 physical and 260 virtual servers.
radek zima_1
Frequent Advisor

I've seen issues with some plugins in past (performance monitoring and insight remote support), but version 6.2 runs well inside virtual machine on ESX ...
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

You can check on page 5 - discusses exactly the same although the doc is few yrs old :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01328849/c01328849.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Server-Support
Super Advisor

ah IC, so in this case it seems that I can use VMware ESX to host HP-SIM as a VM, however the most important thing that I need to use is the Server error reporting back-to-base.

Does this feature use "Service Essentials Remote Support Pack" ?
Best regards,
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

According the same doc(page 6), you can't run RSP on VM but as I said above this doc is very old one so seems the info for RSP there is outdated.

Seems it is now supported since release 5.40A, release notes discuss the supported virtual environments:
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02477192/c02477192.pdf

Dedicated document discussing RSP support on and for VM(s):

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02531448/c02531448.pdf
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

We're running the RSP on a VM. The main thing you need to do in HPSIM is to configure the properties of the HPSIM VM as a "Proliant". The HPSIM Server needs to be included in the RSP and this fakes it as a physical server.
It is documented.
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Many thanks Rob for your explanation, I appreciate that.
Best regards,
ehansen76
Occasional Contributor

Anyone know if you can install HP Sim on a vm hosted by hyper-v and not esx?

MikeWachholz
Occasional Advisor

@Rob Buxton wrote:
We're running the RSP on a VM. The main thing you need to do in HPSIM is to configure the properties of the HPSIM VM as a "Proliant". The HPSIM Server needs to be included in the RSP and this fakes it as a physical server.
It is documented.

Can you tell me where it is documented? I added ProLiant to the System Properties, and now it shows in my entitlement list, but it has a red X in the entitlement column?

Thanks,
Mike